Coopers Community

Stopped fermentation

Bags

G'day Paul,

I have recently brewed a Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter using the preferred ingredients of Coopers Light Malt and the yeast which comes with the kit. I have brewed this many times over the last 12 months without encountering any problems. My OG was .1045 at 26 degrees C (couldn't cool the wort any further) and fermentation commenced as usual and did not appear to be excessively active. After three and a bit days fermentation ceased. I obtained a gravity reading of .1025 at 26 degrees C. I have now had the same reading for three days in a row with all signs of fermentation stopping. Can I assume the yeast is no longer reacting with the sugars and perhaps by adding more yeast fermentation will resume? Although I have brewed this beer at similar temperatures before, is the temperature too high for the yeast?

Is it possible to keg the brew with this reading in the hope that it may improve in the keg?

Thanks in advance,

Bags

G'day Bags,

you would expect your brew to get down to 1010-1012. There may not have been sufficient viable yeast cells in the first instance. What was the best before date on the can?

Did the yeast smell okay when you opened the sachet?

The temp is not too high for the yeast to ferment - but I think you would get better aroma and flavour if it fermented at 21C (or less).

You could pitch another yeast if you like or, considering you are kegging, you could just keg it off and drink it - assuming you force carbonate the beer.

How does it taste at the moment?

G'day Paul and thanks for the reponse,

I didn't check the date on the can, however I bought two kits at the same time and brewed them down a couple of days apart in different fermenters and the same thing happened to both. I pitched more yeast into the first wort which stopped and have now got the gravity reading down to 1012. As I'm force carbonating the beers, I may just keg the second one and see what happens. Both beers tasted quite reasonable with no strange odours so I figure there is little chance of the wort being infected.

Thanks again

Bags

Yeah, if you are force carbonatinfg and then keep the keg chilled there should be no issues with further fermentation.

Hmm, if they both came up short they both may have been a bit old?? Always worth having a look at the base of the can before paying your money :wink:

Archived