Coopers Community

Non Fermentable Sugars??

Worts Happening

Hi Fellow Brewers,

Other than Lactose, is there another sources of non fermentable sugars I could use in a Ginger Beer recipe.

I live in Mudgee, a small country town with limited Home Brew supplies and I can't find any Lactose any where. :x

Some help on this would be appreciated.

regards, Anthony.

There are a number of Home Brew stores that are happy for you to order on-line. The Country Brewer may be the best for you??

As for other unfermentable sugars: Matlodextrin is relatively unfermentable but has very little sweetness, artificial Sweeteners are very sweet (we relunctantly include an artificial sweetener in the Coopers Ginger Beer). Perhaps "Stevia" may suit your tastes - a sweetener that is an extract from the leaf of a plant and is sold in chemist stores.

If you keg your beer and use the "forced carbonation" method, you could ferment the ginger beer in primary then keg off and cold condition, add sugar syrup to taste and gas it up - the yeast remaing in suspension will not ferment the sugar as long as it stays well chilled.

I find it to have a bit if a strange flavour/finish. :? It is sort of aniseed but the finish is something I just can't put my finger on for a descriptor. It may be okay blended with strong ginger flavours??

The additition of Stevia to a stout, to give it a subtle sweetness, would be so small that the aniseed character proboably wouldn't be noticed??

I prefer using extra malts (see RIS) or Lactose (Milk Stout) to get the sweetness into a stout.

• 4 weeks later...

why was saccharin chosen (I think that was it?) in the ginger Paul, it absolutely destroys the Coopers Ginger Beer.. I brewed one ages ago and just couldn't drink it, a fair bit went onto the garden, and I kept a few aside to see if it might improve.

I didn't develop the concentrate, I only had influence on the yeast selection and instructions, so I can only guess that it was the most suitable artificial sweetener :?, perhaps?

Well, give whoever came up with it a kick up the arse. :) I'm a lover of stoney gingers, and while there is nice bite too this one, their selection of artificial chemicals to sweeten it up makes me wonder of their ability to develop anything for a market with normal taste buds. That is, unless my tastebuds are abnormal! ;)

Archived