Coopers Community

Does anyone have a Ginger Beer Recipe.

Worts Happening

Shocking pun that name. :roll:

Heres my GB recipe from scratch. Lots of postive feedback and weel as some negative. Before i give it out, a word of warning this is Ginger Beer, not ginger flavoured beer. Its basically an alco version of the Bundaberg GB minus the sugar. If you want body, malt, and a head then add ginger to a beer recipe.

Here 'tis.

750 g fresh ginger

1 cinnamon stick

8 cloves

1 lemon

2kg raw sugar

1 sachet champagne yeast (EC-1118)

Throw ginger in food processor and chop lemon. Boil everything up for 1 hour (not yeast) in 3-4 L water. Cool in ice water then filter into fermenter, top up to 15 L with cold water, pitch yeast.

Works out to be ~7% ABV. Mixed 2:1 with lemonade to get the sweetness up.

If you want to make it up to 23L add another 250g of ginger. If you keep the sugar the same it will be more like 5% ABV.

tasty, tasty stuff but its very dry. Just the way i like it.

Cheers

DrSmurto

Hi Dr Smurto,

Yeah, I know, you are right about the name. :wink:

Thank you for your recipe, it does sound nice and I will give it a go.

I have some questions for you though. Is the finished product a concentrate?? does it need to be mixed with lemonade or can it be consumed as is with it's 7% ABV :lol:

If I wanted to sweeten it up could I add say, 500 - 1000 grams of lactose. Do you think by doing that, it would spoil the recipe??.

Cheers, Anthony.

WH

Tried making it with 250g of lactose and cant tell the difference so i think you would need a heap of it. It wont spoil the recipe but be mindful of the lactose intolerant.

The brew thats 7% i mix 2:1 with lemonade otherwise its knocks me around too much. I have tweaked it since and make it about 5% by upping the volume to 23L, 1kg of ginger (altho i could go more). I drink this stuff straight but most people still mix it for the sweetness.

Hope that helps

DrSmurto

Archived