Coopers Community

Lime Mexican Cerveza

Ricemachine

Hey guys

today i made a Lime cerveza

i mixed the Mex can + BE2 and in the 2 litres of hotwater i boiled in rinds of 5 small limes and the juice.

Just a bit of a experiment. this will be my 3rd brew. first 2 were Lager and the second a bavarian lager.

Ill keep you guys posted if your interested

Nick

Good one! I hope it turns out well. :)

No need to boil the lime additions as this can drive off a lot of the aroma and flavour. Rather, steep the fruit in fluid that has just come off the boil for about 15 to 20 mins. This should pasteurise the fruit. :wink:

Nice! Keep us posted on that one.

I was planning to do that with lemons as we have an abundance in our back yard.

Paul, are you saying steep the whole fruit or just the rinds & juice?

Cheers,

Luke.

You will get most of the flavour/aroma from the rind so that would be what I would use - if I ever added lemon to a brew, and it aint likely to happen in the near future.

Not sure what all the juice from the lemons would do to the pH of the brew - it may make it too acidic for the yeast to perform properly??

Orange zest is the only citrus I have added to a brew thus far.

The beer is doin well. I tested the beer using the hydrometer and its 1014. so i should be able to bottle soon.

I thought the acidity of the lime juice itself should not affect it much as since the fermentation process i thought would be an acidic reaction anyway since C02 is produced in the process. well this is what i thought anyway. but thanks for the concern. hopeully it turns out alright :)

Not sure what all the juice from the lemons would do to the pH of the brew - it may make it too acidic for the yeast to perform properly??

Hi Paul,

Would it be more benificial to add the juice just prior to bottling or would the sudden shock of the acidic juice affect the second ferment?? Has anyone considered using Berri Lime or Lemon Juice in the squeezable bottle? :idea: It may be that this would be more hygienic that the fruit straight off the tree.

It is the zest from the fruit that gives the best concentration of flavour. I know the squeeze bottles you are talking about. Should be okay to add to the bottle. Try it in a few bottles and see how you go - at least, if you don't like it, you haven't ruined the whole brew!

Archived