Coopers Community

making a starter for my wort

dan

hey guys,great website and forum goin on here,lots of interesting helpfull things to read. just a small question though. i am making a coopers brewmaster wheat beer but im using wyeast 3068 (wiehnstephan?) yeast activator instead of the yeast under the lid. now ive added 250g of dried wheat malt extract together with 1.5l of water into a sealed vessel with the yeast to make a starter before i make my wort,and am wondering whether i must wait until the airlock on my sealed vessel stops bubbling to indicate the yeast has eaten all the malt or if i slap it into the wort whilst the airlock is still bubbling? :roll: i plan on harvesting the yeast after the wort is bottled for future brews. ive also been told to boil my honey to break down the sugar strands so the yeast can convert it more readily into alcohol but read nothin so far on the net. is this true? :? any help or advise greatly appreciated,cheers

Hi Dan,

Don't worry about waiting for the airlock to stop bubbling, chuck it in when you're ready.

When I use Wyeast I make a big starter in a 2lt soft drink bottle, then split it into 6 sanitized stubbies and cap them. They'll keep for 6 months or so.

Cheers.

Luke.

I always throw the honey straight into the fermenting vessel and it ferments nicely. You would only need to boil honey if it were of questionable origin (raw, unfiltered honey) - to pasteurise it. No need to boil honey that is bought from the supermarket shelf.

as it turned out i did bring to the boil 400g of honey with a bit of water to thin it out. by the time i added said honey to the wort i had an og of 1.080,now that primary fermentation has stopped ive got an fg of 1.016 which at my rough calcs means 9.0%ABV. post back after taste test. ps-it tastes great already!

Archived