Coopers Community

More Kick

Evilian

Hi all, Im new to the home brew scene got my kit for xmas, so far ive made a Lager and a Ginger Beer, which i will be opening soon, thing is ive opened a few bottles of the lager and although it tastes good looks good even has a pretty good head it just seems to lack any real kick.

I followed the directions to the letter and everything did as it was supposed to i was just wondering if thats just normal for the lager and if so how do i go about adding a bit more kick to it?

2ndly could someone explain to me the difference between the packets of brewing sugar, dextrose and the brew enhancers 1 and 2.[/b]

G'day Evilian,

Welcome to our Club!!

What do you mean by kick? Alcohol content, flavour or both?

Brewing Sugar contains 750g Sugar and 250g Maltodextrin

BE1 contains 600g Dextrose and 400g Maltodextrin

BE2 contains 500g Dextrose, 250g Light Dry Malt and 250g Maltodextrin.

Hi Paul and thanks for the welcome.

More the alcohol content i quite like the taste of it but to me it seems more like lollie water than an alcoholic beverage but as i said im not sure if its supposed to be that way.

Brewing Sugar contains 750g Sugar and 250g Maltodextrin

BE1 contains 600g Dextrose and 400g Maltodextrin

BE2 contains 500g Dextrose, 250g Light Dry Malt and 250g Maltodextrin

How does the above effect the brew?

Each bag has a table on the back with the estimated % alcohol for a 23litre brew (assuming the brewer is using priming sugar at the rate of 8g per litre).

For 1kg of each :

B/Sugar: 4.6

BE1: 4.2

BE2: 4.7

If you want to bump up the % alcohol go for the addition of more malt extract or reduce the total volume of the brew.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Evilian, I found the same problem of not being able to let them age long enough, so I waited till the kits were on special and bought another one.

this gives me the luxury of splitting 3 cans of brew between two fermenters and adding an bag of BE1 to each to give a good flavour to alcohol ratio, which even some of my diehard non homebrew mates say is not to shabby

remember the best thing about brewing at home is experiment to find what YOU like

Archived