Coopers Community

Little Creatures Pale Ale

Hi all. Ben here. Newish to brewing as started in September. The Trigg Brewing Company now has 12 18L kegs so we have expanded rapidly and have done 40 odd brews. We run 2 25L and 1 50L fermenters.

I have brewed 200L of Pale Ale and all has been spot on and one of my favorites until the the last 50L brew. It came out quite bitter and tastes way too hoppy. I used the normal 2 12g (per 25L) Cascade hops and infused the bags fo 10 mins as I have in the past. The only differece I can pick is the fermenting temp being a bit higher that in the past....28degrees due to hot weather...Yeast was added at 28degrees...a bit warm but have got away with it in the past...

Hydroreadings...start 1.044

.finish 1.009 (prob got kegged a bit early as had a rush on)

The body and head/head retention is all good and is drinkable but a huge aftertaste... Can anyone enlighten me as to why this brew turned out the way it did.

Any help would be appreciated...

You need to tell us what recipe you are using as that will affect the FG reading. Temp of fermentation shouldnt affect bitterness, this comes from the hops and unless you are boiling them for 60 mins its the cans that are bittered. Higher temps affect the yeast which in turn produces different esters (flavours) but not bitterness. Did you change kits for this brew?

A little more info and am sure the coopers boys on the forum can help you out. And before Paul chimes in..... :) click on your profile and update your name and location. helps to know where people are.

Cheers and beers

DrSmurto

Thanks mate for the reply..

Using the coopers recipe... traditional draught, wheat malt,, cascade hops and american ale yeast. Had a couple last night and it seems to be gettting better. Can the bitterness reduce with time???

Another thought was that maybye the rinsing of sterilising solution in the kegs wasn't good enough...?..

Also...can't find were to edit my profile...still working on that one..

Ben,

to edit your profile: go to the Coopers Club screen, Update Profile, change your message board settings, Alias.

Some people perceive yeast bite to be bitterness - yeast bite may occur with high ferment temps (ideally, stick to the temp recommended in the recipe).

Yes, residual sanitiser (depending on the type) may also give a harshness to the brew.

Bitterness does mellow with conditioning time but normally this will be over months rather than days.

Archived