Coopers Community

LCPA final gravity

Jeff

Gravity does not go up during fermentation so you must have a sampling error with one (or both) of your readings.

There is an article describing how to use the hydrometer in the July 2003 newsletter. You can download this as a pdf. Just a note that the alcohol formula has been amended since to read "+ 0.5" rather than "+ 0.2" for priming.

how long should you let the beer sit in the tube before the reading?

thanks

G'day c23627,

It doesn't matter how long the beer is in the tube, You can test it straight away just remember to give the hydrometer a good spin as you put it in to throw off any bubbles that form around it, this could also be the reason your fg is higher than the other day as the bubbles in the beer are becoming more refined.

Hope this info helps mate!

Cheers,

Mal.

coopers traditional draught, 1 tin of wheat, 300grms of dex, 2 packets of cascade finnishing hops & the yeast from the draught tin

filled to the bottom of the fins on the barrel @20l & the temp on the sticker is @ 22-24

Not sure whether you are saying you added 20l to a total volume of 23l or you filled to 20l?? :?

1020 does seem a bit high though...

This recipe looks like the one on a Brew Cellar brochure except you have omitted the American Ale yeast - your yeast pitching rate may be a bit low for the style of beer.

Try drawing a sample off and degass it (toss it between to glasses about 20 times or so). Then put it in the flask for a SG measure.

my guess is the total volume is 21L & I could not get the American Ale Yeast because the shop had just been cleaned out (burgled).

just did the glass tossing & it reads 1018, should I just bottle with less sugar (I'm using grolsh 500ml swingtops)

thanks

Jeff

The advantage you have is that you are using vessels that can be degassed easily. 8) PET's and kegs are excellent for this reason too!!

So bottle with the normal priming rate and check them after a couple of weeks - if they look like being overgassed simply crack the head pressure from time to time until the gas level is suitable for you.

Archived