Coopers Community

flat beer

Weston brewery

HI everyone,

I bought a Coopers home brewing kit for Fathers Day. Mixed up the Coopers larger and followed the instructions to a tee. Turned on the heat pad and left it to ferment away. 7 days later I got a reading of 1008 and got the same reading on consecutive days. Put 2 carbination droplets into each of the 26 PET bottles and I bottled it. I then started a new brew (a stout) and put the bottles arround the fermentor for 7 days to keep them at a temperture between 21C and 28C, then I moved the bottles to a cool place for 7 more days. On the 8th day I openned a bottle. Unfortunately when I did there wasn't much of a fizzy sound. And in the glass it was clear but flat, a small head that slowly deminished was all I got. I feel everything was sterile,got any ideas.cheers Jamie.

how did the beer taste??

if it was very sweet it may be that the yeast went dormant somehow (maybe through cold shock or a quick temp change??) or the bottles weren't rinsed out properly and left over steriliser killed the yeast.

if it tastes as it should then possibly the screw top was not totally on? if you have a high alchohol beer, (ie more sugar) head retention will not be very good and for better retention you would probably be better off using liquid malt extract for more body IMHO

i would try another one, to be sure that the bottle you used was not faulty, but in any case you will find that the head matures and becomes alot denser and tightly packed over months as opposed to days. i like to leave mine a month at least ( though sometimes its REAL hard) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Mate, I did the same thing, got the kit and put down my first brew. I waited very impatiently for probably 10 days and drunk my first green (cidery tasting) and very flat beer. But with a little perseverence ( and a lot of patience ) and a lot of support from these forums I'm now quite proud of the end result and find that the longer you leave it the better it ends up, I even had to buy another kit to get ahead.

I had to go out the other night (much to SHMBO's delight) and was forced to drink that horrid, watery and tastless crap the sell over the bar as beer

keep going use other peoples experiences and experiment on what suits your taste and what you believe is the perfect beer

Archived