Coopers Community

Falconer Flight APA

Adz

I would like to try to make a true Australian Pale Ale using Falconer Flight Hops

1.7kg Coopers APA

500g Light DME

600g Dextrose

120g crystal malt

FF Hops 30g @ 20 mins

FF Hops 15g @ 15 mins

US-05

Fermentation @ 20C

Looks like I may need to ensure good yeast attenuation, hopefully 80.

1. Is yeast starter vs sprinkle my best option ?

2. Pitch 2 yeasts ?

3. Any other thoughts on any aspect of this recipe, please share, perhaps a better hops schedule ?

Adz

Hi Adz.

1. Is yeast starter vs sprinkle my best option ?

I brew most of my beers with US-05. I always sprinkle & have never had a failed brew with it yet. [happy]

2. Pitch 2 yeasts ?

One packet will be fine.

3. Any other thoughts on any aspect of this recipe' date=' please share, perhaps a better hops schedule ?[/quote']

600gms of dextrose is a little more than I would use, but that is subjective from one brewer to another.

Your current hops schedule will most likely produce an overly bitter beer (somewhere in the low 50 IBU's). Perhaps change it to something like...

15gms @ 15mins

15gms @ 5 mins

15gms @ flameout or dry hopped.

That will give you an IBU of approx. 31 that will be a lot more tolerable.

Good luck with the brew. [wink]

Cheers,

Anthony.

600gms of dextrose is a little more than I would use, but that is subjective from one brewer to another.

Your current hops schedule will most likely produce an overly bitter beer (somewhere in the low 50 IBU's). Perhaps change it to something like...

15gms @ 15mins

15gms @ 5 mins

15gms @ flameout or dry hopped.

That will give you an IBU of approx. 31 that will be a lot more tolerable.

I will be steeping 120g grains in 2.5 litres water then boiling it. Will the hops schedule you mentioned still give me 31 IBU for a 2.5 litre boil volume ?

Hi Adz.

The 31 IBU I quoted you is based on boiling that hop schedule in a wort with a gravity of 1.040.

If it were me, I'd strain the wort gained from your grain steep into another pot & add 1 litre of freshly boiled water & stir in approx. 250gms of dry malt extract. This 3 litre (approx.) amount will give you a gravity near 1.040 for the beginning of your hop boil.

The reason I suggest adding another litre of boiled water, is that you will lose some of the starting 2\xbd litre liquid volume after you strain the grain steep. And after the hop boil is completed, you will lose additional liquid from evaporation & hop absorption. The liquid remaining could end up a little thick & not easy to strain into your final fermenter brew wort.

I try to gain a good level of liquid by the end of my hop boils, because what gets caught in the strainer, can't add any flavour into your brew. [wink]

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived