Coopers Community

bottling kegged beer

givemeanother

Hello all Cooper Experts,

Having brewed on and off over 12 years and re discovering Coopers (even called a new puppy " Mr Cooper " ) I am investing in a keg system .

And having read a lot of the beer banter and other terrific reads , I am left wondering if it is possible whether or not kegged beer can be bottled for transit ???

And on the flipside whether it is possible to "keg" bottled homebrew that is proving slow to rise to the occasion during Winter despite already being primed with carbonationd drops (batch approx. 1 month old in a western Sydney winter )

cheers

Jason

G'day Jason,

I hope you have had a look at the FAQs in the home brew section.

Beer that has not come up to condition can be kegged and then artificially carbonated - but I think , considering you have primed it, you would be better off to leave the beer in the bottle, raise the temp to 18+ give each bottle a shake and wait another two weeks.

I have a kegged beer, on tap at the moment, which I promised to provide for tasting at work (a pale ale with Chinook and Amarillo hops). I plan to take the gas off the keg, crack the head pressure off it slightly (operate the pressure relief valve) then fill three bottles. I expect a fair bit of foam so, once it has subsided, the third bottle should have sufficient beer in it to top up bottles 1 and 2.

Hey Paul,

Thanks for that mate! Your information is invaluable. Will try to be patient but can't guarantee it. Just one other question thou, Is it true that kegged beer thats artificially carbonated ages faster than naturally carbonated in the bottle?

Cheers!

Jason

Naturally carbonated beer (for Home Brewers) tends to have less dissolved oxygen than force carbonated beer. Therefore, you can expect naturally carbonated beer to keep longer.

That said, most keggers who force carbonate keep their kegs chilled and get through their brews fairly quickly.

Once you've bottled pre-kegged beer, do you have to drink it relatively quickly, or will the carbonation in there hold relatively well.. if so, how long?

With the loss of head-pressure, I'd imagine the CO2 would drop out of the beer relatively rapidly, and it would go flat rather quickly just like a softie. Is that right?

Just wondering because I'm about to do my first keg fill this weekend.

They seem to lose CO2. Although, when I have transferred from the keg the beer is normally consumed within a few hours.

I guess, reducing the headspace - a hard thing to do when transferring carbonated beer - should help the beer to remain reasonably carbonated for a longer period of time.

• 2 months later...

I have 2 Kegs (and Taps) on my fridge, (one for me to try different beers and the other because my wife will drink only one type) along with a tap-a-draft system (6 litres), which allows me to have 3 different beers on tap at any one time. Quite often if we are going on a barbque, i will draw a few bottles of each and take them with me. These are perfect drunk on the day, but suffer as times goes on from a carbonation perspective. i still keep bottles for those camping trips, and with the kegs, i am able to age them better.

Archived