1 can sparkling ale

250gms roasted barley malt

250gms medium crystal grains

250gms roasted choc malt

30gms Challenger

so4 yeast

500gms brown sugar

made to 23litre

Boiled 6ltres of water, boiled challenger hops for 20mins, then at flame out steeped grains and the malt for 20mins.

In fermenter poured in the liquid tea added the alme and can sparkling ale with 500gms brown sugar, made to 23litres. Pitched yeast at 21degrees og is 1052

Interested to hear how this one turns out mate.

The only thing I'd do differently is to steep the grains first, and then use this liquid as part of the hop boil wort. The grains can contain bugs that may infect the brew. Not saying this means it will definitely get an infection but it's always safer to steep them first and then boil the resultant liquid.

In a nutshell:

Steep grains

Strain them into a pot with a sieve to get the liquid and leave grains behind. You can rinse with hot water if you like too.

Add extra water to desired volume and some malt extract to bring the gravity to around 1040 (If you have IanH's spreadsheet it will work this amount out based on factors like whether there is any grain steeping liquid already there, or how much etc.)

Bring it all to a boil and add hops as per the recipe.

Then just mix it up as you normally would with all the other ingredients in the FV. [biggrin]

yeah I do normally steep the grains first then use liquid for the hops. Instead I strained hops after they boiled and then steeped grain in the hop tea. Hopefully most nasties all died with water temp been over 50degrees Celsius

Archived