Coopers Community

What do you do with the left overs ?

woody1525228571

G'day all, just wondering what ya do with the left over liquid when ya check the gravity of the brew. I draw off about 100ml test it then I used to throw it out ........but now the dog will bite my arm off if I don't give it to him !!

don't reckon it'll hurt him but the missus gets up me all the same

p.s just cleaned the dregs out of the barrel ( Irish Stout ) and the bugger went and ate most of it and then rolled in the left overs. geez she's still giving it to me. ( yeh it's good knowing but she bought me the kit )

Eating the yeast and him rolling in it won't hurt him. Just tell the missus that brewer's yeast is the chief ingredient in Vegemite, and that your dog is getting a lot of protein, vitamins and minerals, and that most of the alcohol is in the bottles, not at the bottom of the fermenter at the end. His digestive system will kill the yeast once they hit his belly, and all the goodness will come out in there and nourish him.

As for the 100mL, mine used to go down the sink after a quick swig. If you want to keep giving it to your dog, you could tell your missus that you are checking the *progression* of a brew - there's not much alcohol in them until the last few. Do you bottle? If so, since the sugar that you pop in your bottles to carbonate your brew gives you an extra bit of alcohol (and you never check the SG of bottled beer), you can tell her that every "taste test" that your dog has along the way, has less alcohol in it than in the finished product. And it's all 100% true! :D

cheers,

Kieran

Eating the yeast and him rolling in it won't hurt him. Just tell the missus that brewer's yeast is the chief ingredient in Vegemite, and that your dog is getting a lot of protein, vitamins and minerals, and that most of the alcohol is in the bottles, not at the bottom of the fermenter at the end. His digestive system will kill the yeast once they hit his belly, and all the goodness will come out in there and nourish him.

As for the 100mL, mine used to go down the sink after a quick swig. If you want to keep giving it to your dog, you could tell your missus that you are checking the *progression* of a brew - there's not much alcohol in them until the last few. Do you bottle? If so, since the sugar that you pop in your bottles to carbonate your brew gives you an extra bit of alcohol (and you never check the SG of bottled beer), you can tell her that every "taste test" that your dog has along the way, has less alcohol in it than in the finished product. And it's all 100% true! :D

cheers,

Kieran

Sounds like you've had lots of practice fibbing to your missus! :)

Even though I'm an atheist, a Catholic Monk could sleep well at night saying those above truths about brewing, knowing that on his passing, he would still be up in heaven brewing godly beers with JC the master Ale brewer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the positive feedback but it seems that if ya give this dog an inch he'll take a mile, not content with picking up the dregs and the odd drip here and there the little bugger has worked out that if he licks the straw thingy for bottling he can get all the beer he wants - needless to say that SHMBO is on my back once again

web.jpg[/img]

Archived