Coopers Community

Pale Ale - cascade & galaxy

DaveH21

OK - so my brother-in-law (a top bloke) turns up on Mother's Day with a 6 pack of Heineken.

I was keen on showing off my brewing (as alluded to above).

End result is that we and another mate of mine, get pi$$ed on my IPA and my APA - and a great day had by all. Except for my wife's sister, that wasn't too happy to be driving my brother-in-law home . It was Mother's Day after all [roll]

So whilst I'm proud that they loved my 2 beers on show, I got left with the 6 pack of Heinekens. I'm drinking one now, and after all the ales I've been drinking, I find this to be a bit like alcoholic carbonated water. I mean it's classy and all, but I've come to like my beers with a bit more meat.

Consequently, I've decided there's not much point in brewing lagers during the winter, if they're not really my cup of tea.

I have a currently unused fridge - but it's an expensive fridge, so I can't be drilling any holes in it or anything like that.

I'm still using cans, so if I do what I'm doing (pitching at 24 degrees and rapidly cooling to 20), will the fridge be of use in helping to keep the FV above about 17, purely by the insulation of the fridge?

No need to drill holes in the fridge. Get yourself an STC 1000 to control the temp.

You just plug the fridge power cord into the controller and also a heat source, like a heat pad. The controller will switch the fridge and heat source on and off to maintain temp.

If you want to use the fridge for other purposes, just unplug it from the STC 1000 and plug it into the power point directly.

It will be the best move you will make.

PS. Kudos on your nice beers.

Sounds like a good mothers day.

Like hairy said, grab a stc 1000, I just made one for myself, all up <$30 for year round peace of mind. They\u2019re very easy to set up.

Another tip though, grab a digital thermometer with a memory function. These are great, I use one and it\u2019s just another peace of mind thing for ~$8. It stores what the lowest temp was and the highest.

Have fun and best brewing

Thanks guys

with the STC1000, how do I close the fridge door if I have the heat pad and the temp sensor inside the fridge?

The temp sensor cord is very thin so I strap it to the FV and just close the door on it. It doesn't wreck the seals of the door.

The cord for my heat pad is quite thin too.

OK - thanks - I think I get it - the fridge doesn't seal completely but the job still gets done[roll]

And these things are only around $30?

I'm an Electrical Engineer by training so the wiring is a non-issue - I was worried by the fridge not sealing properly

Dave, the temp sensor cable is only a couple of mils thick so no drama with door seal, and check fleabay, mine was $21 delivered from a Chinese sweatshop no doubt. make sure you get the 240v version, a couple of the lads here have got the 110v by mistake

• 2 years later...
OK - here's what ended up happening.

I brought 2.5 litres to the boil mixed with 250g BE2

@20mins - Galaxy 20g

@15mins - Cascade 20g

@5mins - Cascade 15g+Galaxy 15g

@0mins - Cascade5g+Galaxy 5g

Steep 10 mins

Above liquid strained through brand new chux + sieve

1kg Light Dry Malt

250g BE2

1 x Coopers Pale Ale Tin

US-05 pitched at 25 degrees

FV will be 18-19 degrees within 6 hours.

OG = 1.047

Plan to dry hop with 15g of each Cascade/Galaxy around day 4

Thanks guys [lol] - we'll see how it goes...

I know this is an old recipe, but I followed this recipe, had no Cascade so I used Citra instead. This was great. I was honestly a little sceptical of using Brew Enhancer and LDM, but it worked out so well. What a great beer, thanks for sharing.

Archived