Coopers Community

Kolsch Soft Drink

Lotm

I'm not sure if anybody can remember my bizarre, horrid brew day that I really didn't enjoy. Well I tried one of the Kolscheseses, only 1 week in the bottle after some cold conditioning in a cube. It has turned out fairly tasty, low ABV as predicted (about 3.8% or thereabouts [sad]) More bitterness than expected (a good thing) but nowhere enough flavour and aroma. This will help me next time. recipe is as follows:

Style: K\xf6lsch

Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

1.00 kg Light Dry Extract

1.50 kg Extra Pale Liquid Extract\t\t

22.00 g Perle [8.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min

10.00 g Spalt [3.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min

10.00 g Spalt [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1.0 pkg SafAle German Ale (DCL/Fermentis #K-97)

I'm glad it wasn't a total write-off Lotm.

Just looking through your recipe; what size boil are you doing? 1/2 tablet of Whirfloc is enough for a full boil.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the Whirfloc in this brew. You are just using extract and 250g specialty grain.

I may be completely off the mark here (PB2 will step in to correct me if I am wrong) but extract has already had the hot break removed. So the trub in the kettle will mostly be the cold break and hop matter. You can strain this when adding it to the FV and if some works its way into the FV it isn't a big deal.

To answer your question' date=' about 12L. [/quote']

Since you aren't using Whirfloc I don't really care anymore [biggrin]

Plus you made me write out that post for nothing. Do you think I like posting on here? [innocent]

Archived