Coopers Community

Simcoe and Amarillo in a Pale Ale

SteveL

Greetings all,

Am planning a simple pale ale - CPA tin, 1kg LDM, 200 caramunich or medium grain.

Hops are simcoe and amarillo - just wondering how much of each for a hoppy ale? I haven't used simcoe before...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I may not be the best person to comment on this because I had an average experience with Simcoe.

I did a brew that had late additions of Simcoe and it tasted a little iffy. I read a different post that referred to the taste as cats piss and thought it quite appropriate (I haven't actually tasted cats piss before though) [innocent]

I have just brewed a batch with Simcoe as a bittering hop and the samples are not bad.

What are you plans for the hops? Boil, steep and/or dry hop?

What are you plans for the hops? Boil, steep and/or dry hop?

A 15 min boil, just seeking flavour and aroma.

Interestingly posted same question on ahb and a reply also mentioned to be wary of late simcoe additions.

Am comfortable with using 30-45g all up of amarillo but perhaps may limit myself to 10-15g of simcoe at 15mins and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply...

I have read heaps of posts of people raving about late additions of Simcoe. I guess it is all down to personal tastes.

Perhaps you could start with the additions you mentioned and change it to your tastes for later brews.

Archived