Coopers Community

Double/Extra/Imperial IPA

Is there a difference? I've had two ridiculously good ones lately. Sierra Nevada Torpedo (which is called Extra IPA) and tonight a 3 ravens Bitter Sweet End Double IPA (a whopping 9.6% - I'm amazed I can type). The 3 ravens I will assume is more an English style (mega bitter but not so hoppy flavour/aroma).

So, I am planning to do something of my own (I am going to think some more on other brews you may have seen me mention).

This is a rough first draft of Fruit Salad Extra IPA (inspired by the first beer I made with hops, and the beer that made me realise I can make good beer - Fruit Salad Ale)

1.00 kg Pale Malt

0.30 kg Caramalt

Mini-mash those in my 5L cooler

1.5 kg Coopers DME

1.5 kg Coopers LME (DME vs LME quantities negotiable)

25 g Galaxy [14.40 %] - Boil 50.0 min

22 g (2 plugs) Cascade [6.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min

11 g (1 plug) Cascade [6.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min

10 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min

1.0 pkg US-05

19 L of goodness

33 g (3 plugs) Cascade [6.60 %] - Dry Hop

30 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop

(too much?)

Est OG 1.069

Est FG 1.015 SG

Est ABV: 7.0 %

72.1 IBUs [w00t]

26.7 EBC

Is there a difference? I've had two ridiculously good ones lately. Sierra Nevada Torpedo (which is called Extra IPA) and tonight a 3 ravens Bitter Sweet End Double IPA (a whopping 9.6% - I'm amazed I can type). The 3 ravens I will assume is more an English style (mega bitter but not so hoppy flavour/aroma).

So, I am planning to do something of my own (I am going to think some more on other brews you may have seen me mention).

This is a rough first draft of Fruit Salad Extra IPA (inspired by the first beer I made with hops, and the beer that made me realise I can make good beer - Fruit Salad Ale)

1.00 kg Pale Malt

0.30 kg Caramalt

Mini-mash those in my 5L cooler

1.5 kg Coopers DME

1.5 kg Coopers LME (DME vs LME quantities negotiable)

25 g Galaxy [14.40 %] - Boil 50.0 min

22 g (2 plugs) Cascade [6.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min

11 g (1 plug) Cascade [6.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min

10 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min

1.0 pkg US-05

19 L of goodness

33 g (3 plugs) Cascade [6.60 %] - Dry Hop

30 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop

(too much?)

Est OG 1.069

Est FG 1.015 SG

Est ABV: 7.0 %

72.1 IBUs [w00t]

26.7 EBC

I wouldnt be using the galaxy as the bittering, it has often been reported that it can give quite a harsh bittering effect.

Got any Magnum? [w00t] in a pinch Id use cascade for the bitering over Galaxy, a small Galaxy hit toward the end wouldnt be out of the question.

Another good idea is to try and match the IBU to the gravity, which to be fair you arent far off.. but 65 IBU is a pretty good aim to my mind, an Imperial IPA should be more heavily loaded toward the end of the boil so for my brews it goes something like this.

10g Magnum @ 40-60 (I prefer Bittering at 40 mins these days, but thats coz I No-Chill)

10g Cascade @ 20

10g Amarillo @ 20

20g Cascade @ 10 (or more)

20g Amarillo @ 10 (or more)

25g Cascade @ 0 (or more)

25g Amarillo @ 0 (or more)

(you could even do smaller additions every 5 mins from 30 mins down [w00t] [w00t] )

I will aim for approx 30% of the total IBU early and get the rest from late additions. You could als consider splitting your dry hop to 2 additions, say one at half ferment and the other with a few points left to go.

With one packet of yeast (at that gravity) you will also have a 'slight' under pitch.

There is a difference between IPA and Imperial IPA's its got to do with the strength of the beer and also how strong the Hop influence should be, look up and download the BJCP style guidelines, print it off and use it for reference when formulating recipies. Its not Gospel, beer should be made so you like it but is good as a guide. [smile]

Yob

How big is your boil? Is it only the wort from the mash or are you doing a larger boil?

I have been doing 4 litre boils in my kit and extract brewing (and getting good results)but have been reading up on IBU's. Theory is you can only "disolve" about 100 IBU's of bitterness in a wort. Therefore , if you do a 4 litre boil, bittered to 100 IBU's, then dilute this to say 20 litres, you end up with a 20 IBU beer.

Like everything else on the 'net there are different opinions and I don't think it is quite that simple but it is worth thinking about. Yesterday I did a brew with 8 litres of boil for the first time so we'll see how it goes. One way I can see of getting around this a bit is to use a base "kit" to get some more bittering. If you use a Coopers Pale Ale kit say, you are about 20 IBU's in front from the start. You could then use hop additions from say 20 minutes to go in the boil to get plenty of flavour while still adding bitterness without wasting hops.

Of course you might do full boils in which case this doesn't come into play.

Damian.

OK thanks Yob and Damian. I hadn't considered a few things, seeing this is my first "imperial"ish brew. I will put it down to the 9.6% beer [lol] last night too

I think my biggest pot is 10L. I am still weighing up my options as to what I go for with my migration to using mostly grains (Urn for BIAB or a big muthaeffin pot etc.)

Yob, regarding the galaxy harshness, I considered that in my ANZAC beer so did a 40 min boil and that seemed to do the trick, it's really smooth (but the IBU's weren't enough [pinched] . I upped this beer to 50 mins to give it a little bit of an edge, but maybe it's not a good idea. I do have plenty of cascade anyway so I can use those (I've got 90g of flowers unopened).

My mate has a big bag of magnums so I'm sure he could spare 10g too.

My LHBS has the 11g packs of US-05 - Mr. Malty says 1.2 packs, so would you still go with 2?

• 2 weeks later...

How to measure 0.2 of a pack [lol] I will do 2 whole packs.

Yob, have you used any liquid yeasts with this type of beer? Was thinking Wyeast 1056 American Ale, or the White Labs California Ale might be a way to go. I like the liquid yeasts, have had good results with them when I've used them.

I like your 5 mins suggestion too, so will be going with that. [w00t] Planning to do this on new years day, I hope, or the weekend that follows it

Keep in mind that 2 packs may well be overpitching, this results in less ester formation from the yeast..

as far as I know 1056 is the liquid version of US-05 (if I remember correctly)

Are you doing starters for your liquid yeasts?

Archived