Coopers Community

LemonZest Weizan

AB

Anyone given this a go yet?

Going to follow the Coopers recipe but wanted to know if anyone threw in the whole BE1 instead of half, not sure of the consequences, any input welcomed....

AB

AB,

I have made this one - to the recipe supplied by Coopers. It has been in the bottle for 11 days today so I haven't tried it yet. It was 20 days in the FV and tasted quite good on bottling day. I wont really know for a few weeks yet how it turns out.

I'm not sure that a full kg of BE1 would be a good idea, that would be an additional 300g of dextrose. Made to recipe it seems pretty true to style so I would be inclined to leave it at that. (I will also add that someone with more knowledge than myself may offer different / better advice)[biggrin]

I'm keen to hear how others have got on with it as well.

Wal

Wal you must have just about ordered the kit on day one like I did? seems we followed the exact same schedule, mine tasted ok at bottling as well (exact to the recipe), maybe another ten days before I chill one for tasting.

This recipe received great feedback from tasters at the brewery.

We suggest to try it, as per the recipe, evaluate the resultant beer. Then tweak the recipe, as you feel necessary, the next time you make it. [biggrin]

Wal you must have just about ordered the kit on day one like I did?

It seemed too good to miss out on. [biggrin]

seems we followed the exact same schedule' date=' mine tasted ok at bottling as well (exact to the recipe), maybe another ten days before I chill one for tasting

I was pretty keen to get this one on and let it do it's thing. The problem I am going to have now is that I will get impatient and probably throw a couple in the fridge for the weekend!!! [bandit]

Cheers Wal, ill keep recipe as is. You obviously received lemon myrtle leaves in the coopers order but i haven't tracked any down yet so I'm going to roll with lemon zest.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to get lemon myrtle, I'm all beeeeeeeers!

Cheers Wal, ill keep recipe as is. You obviously received lemon myrtle leaves in the coopers order but i haven't tracked any down yet so I'm going to roll with lemon zest.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to get lemon myrtle, I'm all beeeeeeeers!

Yeah mate, I got the leaves with the order. I'm not sure where to get them from otherwise, maybe a fruit & vege shop or health food store?? I don't really know because I don't tend to frequent the health food shops. [bandit] This was actually suggested by SWMBO.

^^^ Go on then' date=' it will save me getting into them too early. But you have to post first taste feedback [/quote']

OK, I'm taking one for the team, I put 2 bottles in the fridge last night for sampling on the weekend. It goes against the grain a bit to try them so early, but all in the name of research..[cool]

Well fellas, here goes!!!

My beer has only been in the bottle for 2 weeks today and has been in my conditioning fridge set to 19c until I put it in the cold fridge the other day.

The beer has the flavour you would expect from a wheat beer but with an additional 'zing' from the lemon. I can see this being a good post-mowing beer on a hot afternoon. Probably the only thing I would change would be the level of carbonation. I used 2 drops per bottle as usual but if I were to do it again I would probably try just one for this style of beer.

All in all, I think this will be a good drop. Good luck boys and happy brewing. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

I cracked my first Lemon Weizan a couple of days ago, mmm yum [love] . I must have done something right because it was bloody awesome. I'd give you better tasting notes than that if my palate was refined beyond, yuck, OK and awesome.

It's a shame I have to get through a brew each of very bland cerveza and canadian blonde before I can get into this, the celebration ale and the nelsons light I bottled a couple of days ago.

mmm yum [love] . I must have done something right because it was bloody awesome. I'd give you better tasting notes than that if my palate was refined beyond' date=' yuck, OK and awesome. [/quote']

[cool]

It's a shame I have to get through a brew each of very bland cerveza and canadian blonde before I can get into this' date=' the celebration ale and the nelsons light I bottled a couple of days ago.[/quote']

I am about to tip about 5 litres (from long necks) down the drain. It's my Real Fat Yak that's been bottled for 40 weeks. It started out so bitter I called it Real Fat Yuk, seemed to get better around 5 months but now its a real struggle to drink.

I'm not suggesting you do the same thing Chris, but we shouldn't suffer bland, at least your others will condition in the meantime.

Archived