Coopers Community

over carbanation after 6 weeks

PETERL23

hi this is my first time at this,have been brewing for a year or so, and have had this happen once before.

bottled a brew of little creatures on the 27/7 into stubbies as i normally do, with one carbanation drop, drank some last week the end of aug tastes great but very bubbley with thick head and working hard in glass.

last time it happened was my 4th brew and thought might have bottled to soon,thinking back i dont think so,im going to leave it longer see what happens,any ideas would like to hear them.:)

Hi Peter. Although the carbonation drops do tend to make your beer way too fizzy in my opinion, they should still be drinkable. I too have had the odd batch which has just been too damn fizzy to drink. I put it down to impatience mainly. Make sure your next brew is completely fermented out before bottling. Leave it for several days after it finishes. Also, pay very close attention to your cleaning regime, as poor bottle/fermenter hygiene can also be a cause.

If it turns out it's the carb drops making your beer too gassy, look in to bulk priming.

Good luck mate [biggrin]

Thanks for the info,will look into them,look at my records recipe says FG1012 can says 1005 first test was 1015 7 days after brewing 7 days later 1009 bottled that same day,will leave it a bit longer and see how it goes

on a good note my next brew boags strongarm bitter is 9/10

thanks again[cool]

Your bottles will only carb up according to the amount of sugars you put in to carb with. Overcarbing comes down to about 3 things...

1/ too much sugar added to your bottles to carbonate

2/ fermentation in primary has not stopped

3/ infection

Bottle when you have readings the same over consecutive days and not when you 'think' it is finished. An Ale, in the right environment, will take about 6-8 days to ferment. However, it is best to leave for a few days more for the yeast to clean up a little.

• 4 months later...

Others have given advice how to prevent in future so won't bother with that.

When this has happened to me, I just unscrew the caps, leave the bottle open for a while and then re-screw the caps on. If the beer foams out of the bottle when you open it, just let it do that until it slows down. Then re-cap.

Leave them for a few weeks, then try drinking them again. I had this problem with Coopers Cerveza a couple of time. I left them for about 6 months after re-capping and they were passable.

I've also had the opposite where a brew was just not gassed enough. You could add some more priming sugar although this is dodgy. All I did was 50/50 mix in the glass with flat beer and another, over gassed beer and Robert's your mother's brother.

Archived