Coopers Community

Stout, Stout, Let it All Out!

Okay, I just had to share this one. I only make a couple of dark beers each year, and I reckon this'll be a beauty. My local supermarket had the OS cans for $9.70 this week, so had to have a crack.

1 x Coopers OS Stout Can

1.5kg JWM Ale Malt

200g Wheat Malt

300g Chocolate Malt

500g Dark DME

200g Dextrose

Mashed at 67*C for 90mins

90min boil:

30g Fuggles @ 10min

Kit yeast (as nutrient) @ 0min

20g Fuggles @ Whirlpool

Rehydrated Fermentis S-04 and pitched @ 22*C

OG was 1.051 (I think it should've been higher but my efficiency always seems to suck for smaller amounts of grain[pinched])

Tastes and smells beautiful. Is anyone else sneaking in one last dark beer for the winter?

[love] [love] [love]

I make a stout every 3 or 4 brews regardless of the time of year. I dont drink for the seasons I drink because I like drinking what I drink [rightful]

Ill be trying my first AG stout soon and will be asking you guys for advice.

Oh yeah. have 48 liters in my 60 liter fermenter that I put down friday night. All grain brew that took nearly 7 hours.

Gunna split it into smaller fermenters today and spice one with star anise (moderately), and another with banana and the 3rd will get more JW chocolate additions.

OG was 1.051 (I think it should've been higher but my efficiency always seems to suck for smaller amounts of grain[pinched])

You efficiency should be greater, not less. Are you mashing those smaller amounts in a mash tun? If so you'd go better doing a loose mash in a bag in a pot..

my 2cent

I'm mashing in a stock pot with a bag in it. I always seem to lose WAY too much heat and I reckon it's due to lower amounts of water in the same size pot. Lots of head room. Not too bothered for partials though. Can always chuck more stuff in if it looks too low. I don't sparge as much with my mini mashes either, as I don't want to end up with a million litres of wort.

In those circumstances I pre-heat my oven to just under 100C, turn it off, pull the shelves out and leave my pot in there for the duration of the mash.

Another trick is to lay a circle of alfoil on the top of the mash to effectively eliminate the headspace.

In reality, you probably wont need the full hour. I recently did an iodine test at 40 mins during a small batch and was suprised to find conversion complete.

In those circumstances I pre-heat my oven to just under 100C' date=' turn it off, pull the shelves out and leave my pot in there for the duration of the mash.[/quote']

That's a pretty good idea actually. It probably won't be as much of a problem in summer, but for winter that might be just the ticket. Cheers Clown. [cool]

Archived