Coopers Community

Cocoa Stout

Hey lads. Been researching for quite a while on how to make a cool sweet stout. Based on a Can of Coopers Irish Stout I have laying around, decided to try this recipe in a few days.

Cocoa Stout:

1.7 Kg Coopers Irish Stout.

0.3 Kg Dry Malt Extract.

0.2 Kg Dark Malt Extract.

-------------------------

Partial Mash method : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

1 Kg American 2 row.

0.5 Kg Caramel Malt.

0.5 Kg Chocolate Malt.

0.3 Kg Flaked Oats.

0.2 Kg Natural Cocoa Powder.

------------------------------

15 gr UK Fuggles @ 45 Mins

10 gr UK Fuggles @ 10 Mins.

The grains I got them tru a local supplier here in Venezuela, that imports the Grain and malts himself, I talked to him on the phone hes attending to Brewing school here and by the feedbacks on the product page seems reliable. Ill probably do a an effiency test on a smaller batch for these grains.

Now the interesting ingredient Im adding is the Natural Cocoa Powder. Ive read quite a few recipes that call for a bit of Cocoa powder of many brands. Well here in Venezuela we have one of the finest cocoa plantations in the world and we export it to countries like Switzerland n such chocolate countries.

Im lucky enough to drive a 2 Hour trip and get to this magnificient coast.

ocumare.jpg

Where the local people have been harvesting cocoa for centuries.

CacaoCosecha.jpg

The final product is a powder of the naturally dried and then toasted cocoa seeds, finally grinding the seeds. This is the primary ingredient in all chocolate. So I figured it should be interesting. This is the final Product

cacao-en-polvo-200-gr-italo-para-tortas-chocolate-brownies_MLV-O-34664637_5324.jpg

I will be preparing this recipe in the next few days. But I wanted to post here see what opinion you guys might have.

Thanks for reading!

Happy Brewing All! [happy]

Hey Bill! Yes I will be keeping it updated hopefuly with pics!

By the way.. i was thinking about the yeast. Should I use the one that comes with the coopers irish stout kit ? I have an S04 package layin around also. Saying this because the yeast from the kit has only 7g and the S04 has 11g which should help ferment all better ?

Or would the kit yeast be enough with these ingredients ? the OG should be around 1.066, sounds like a lot of sugar and I thought the S04 bein 11g would ferment better than the yeast kit with 7g. But im not sure yet which yeast to use.

Anyways.. thanks for reading. [happy]

By the way.. i was thinking about the yeast. Should I use the one that comes with the coopers irish stout kit ? I have an S04 package layin around also.

It won't matter unless i am reading your recipe wrong. It doesn't appear to have a lot of sugars in there and you'll be lucky to get 1.066. Just the S04 will be fine or just the kit yeast will be fine also. Whatever rocks your boat.

Actually looking at your recipe again, I did read it wrong. I wouldn't use that much choc and caramel. Half would be suffice imo as 1kg is an aweful lot then you are using Cocoa Powder on top of that.

If you run with the recipe you gave then both yeasts will work fine.

Actually looking at your recipe again, I did read it wrong. I wouldn't use that much choc and caramel. Half would be suffice imo as 1kg is an aweful lot then you are using Cocoa Powder on top of that.

Hey Bill!

Well Im using 1kg of the Amber Malt, but I was thinking of using half a kilo of the caramel and chocolate (0.5 kg) you think this is too much ?

Also when you say both yeasts will work fine your saying to use either one of them or to use both as Adam said ?

Also how would you guys add the cocoa powder? at the end of the boil ? or after the boil ?

Thanks for reading mates!

Hey Bill!

Well Im using 1kg of the Amber Malt, but I was thinking of using half a kilo of the caramel and chocolate (0.5 kg) you think this is too much ?

Also when you say both yeasts will work fine your saying to use either one of them or to use both as Adam said ?

Also how would you guys add the cocoa powder? at the end of the boil ? or after the boil ?

Thanks for reading mates!

Your recipe shows 500g Caramel & 500g Choc. I would make this 200-300g of each.

Re. the yeast, yes I mean to use both of them or you could make a starter.

I would add the cocoa powder at flameout.

Cheers

Greetings!

UPDATE:

So my uncle lend me his mill and I did a test mini batch for the grains to test its efficiency. Results were really good. Got up to 69%. Good considering the fact I had a few problems keeping the mash temperature stable, this being my first mash. Luckily my brother was here to help a bit, hes done a few all grain batches. But the electric kitchen was a bit of a pain to keep the temperature stable.

Summing up, the grains are good to go. Will be brewing this recipe next week, since this week I got a weeding out of town. I will follow your advice Bill, I noticed how much impact the caramel and chocolate has on the recipe and its proportions.

One question tho. For the grain mill which is the ideal calibration for this ? Ive read somewhere that 1/2 to 1/3 of the grain kennel length was a good setup. The grinding ended up decent from what I could see, broken husks and decent amount of flour like powder. Its an old Corona Mill but I think it did the job. Just wanted to make sure I was grinding right.

Another question would be. Should I just pitch the 2 yeast satchel previously commented? or should I use mr malty yeast cell calculator ?

Thanks for reading again guys. Really appreciate your thoughts.

One question tho. For the grain mill which is the ideal calibration for this ? Ive read somewhere that 1/2 to 1/3 of the grain kennel length was a good setup. The grinding ended up decent from what I could see, broken husks and decent amount of flour like powder. Its an old Corona Mill but I think it did the job. Just wanted to make sure I was grinding right.

If you don't have feeler gauges or something similar, I just use a credit card to measure the gap width. I don't have a Corona though but know a few people who do. People tend to use anything between about .07mm - 1.3mm.

Another question would be. Should I just pitch the 2 yeast satchel previously commented? or should I use mr malty yeast cell calculator ?

Thanks for reading again guys. Really appreciate your thoughts.

Even though Mr Malty would give you a more accurate calculation, I'd just pitch both yeasts [innocent]

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Brew Day!

Greetings. So today I brew this bad boy. This is the recipe I went with.

cacaostoutingre.jpg

0.800 Kg Pale Malt

0.300 Kg Caramel Malt

0.300 Kg Chocolate Malt

0.200 Kg Cracked Wheat (new addition)

0.200 Kg Flaked Oats (new addition) added @ end of mash

Mashed @ 67 Celsius for 60 mins. With a 5 Liter Volume.

cacaostoutwait1.jpg

Sparged with 1.80 Liters @ 80 Celsius.

cacaostoutmash.jpg

Boiled for 60 mins with 15 gr of UK Fuggles.

@ 15 min mark added 15 gr more of UK Fuggles.

@ Boiloff Added 200g of Cocoa Powder followed by 300 g of LDME.

Got a gravity reading here of 1.091 which according to brewmate is around 76-80% efficiency might be less. Not sure if I calculated this right.

A hombebrew while waitin...

cacaostoutwait2.jpg

Cooled and then added into the fermenter along with the Coopers Irish Stout Can and another 300g of LDM (with some Dark DME). Toped to 23 Lt. OG was 1.052. A little bit lower than I expected (1.066) but i was too tired I didnt really mind this dif here. Pitched yeast around 24 C. Fridge on temp controler set on 17-20 C.

cacaostoutfin.jpg

Pretty excited about this brew. Smells awesome. Cant wait to test it !!!

Ill update after a few weeks. Cheers all!

• 2 weeks later...
What's that thing in your wort? [pinched]

I'm guessing either a thermometer or hydrometer. If so then I wouldn't be putting it in directly unless it is sterilised.

It looks like the handle of the stirring spoon you get with the DIY kit. So I'd assume he's sterilised it and had just finished stirring prior to pitching the yeast.

What's that thing in your wort? [pinched]

I'm guessing either a thermometer or hydrometer. If so then I wouldn't be putting it in directly unless it is sterilised.

It looks like the handle of the stirring spoon you get with the DIY kit. So I'd assume he's sterilised it and had just finished stirring prior to pitching the yeast.

LOL that's exactly what it is. The end of the stirring spoon, and yea sterilized.

Beers turnin out great. Awesome smell and flavour. A little heavy on the cocoa flavor I think the product I used> I would drop down the cocoa powder to 100g depending on its concentration.

Also I think I couldve yielded more from the grains. After reading up a bit more about mashin temps and rests. Definetly goin to try this again, probably adding lactose to the recipe and lowering the cocoa a little bit.

The Gravity was down to 1.014 for 4 days in a row. Ill be bottling tomorrow or the day after probably.

All in all the beer tastes great. Front nose aroma of chocolate and malt, with a nice bitterness from the can kit hops and the fuggles to end up with a great cocoa aftertaste, If you like dark chocolate you like this flavor if not then you should bring the cocoa down to a 100g or so.

I was doing calculations on how much priming to put on this brew. I was tryin to find how much carbonation volume is appropiate for stouts. Im not sure if the regular 2.4 % Vol carb is what I would want on this. I have a lot of carbonation drops i was thinking on just crushin them and weigh em to achieve the appropiate decided carbonation volume. Any ideas on this ?

Already getting ready for my real first all-grain brew, is gona be a maibock and wanna do a little decoction on it, probable a single one. Im so hooked on brewing now, im also gona be building my cooler mash tun in the next few days! Hahahaha

Thanks for reading lads!

Happy Brewing!

Mmmmmm dark chocolate

I think this recipe is going in the memory banks Kike.

Im so hooked on brewing now, im also gona be building my cooler mash tun in the next few days! Hahahaha

I hear you there. I was away on holiday in Europe and all I thought about was coming home so I get back to brewing [pinched]

Archived