Coopers Community

English Barleywine

Anyone got an extract recipe to make this? Wouldn't mind giving it a go some time. I have read about it a bit in the BJCP guidelines, would the TC liquid malt extract (light) work with it? Was thinking of using that as a base and then some caramel malts as well. Probably EKG or Fuggles or both as the hop additions.

Cheers,

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

So I've used IanH's spreadsheet on the English Barleywine setting to try and figure out a rough recipe and come up with this:

4.5kg Coopers Light LME

2kg Light Dry Malt

400g Medium Crystal

50g Chocolate Malt

60 min boil with the liquid from steeped grains + 640g LDM + water to bring up to 8 litre volume.

Hops:

50g EKG @ 60 mins

40g EKG @ 30 mins

50g Fuggles @ 30 mins

30g Fuggles @ 15 mins

S-04 or English Ale yeast of your choice. Batch size 23 litres, ferment @ 18-20\xb0C.

Bulk prime 110g Dex

This works out OG 1098, FG 1026, ABV 9.7%, IBU 43.9, EBC 27.2.

Any thoughts or comments? Things to possibly change a little to make it better or closer to style? Maybe longer boil or different grains schedule? Extra hops? It fits the style requirements on the spreadsheet but if anyone's had experience brewing these any comments would be appreciated[biggrin]

Cheers,

Kelsey

• 3 years later...
So I've used IanH's spreadsheet on the English Barleywine setting to try and figure out a rough recipe and come up with this:

4.5kg Coopers Light LME

2kg Light Dry Malt

400g Medium Crystal

50g Chocolate Malt

60 min boil with the liquid from steeped grains + 640g LDM + water to bring up to 8 litre volume.

Hops:

50g EKG @ 60 mins

40g EKG @ 30 mins

50g Fuggles @ 30 mins

30g Fuggles @ 15 mins

S-04 or English Ale yeast of your choice. Batch size 23 litres' date=' ferment @ 18-20\xb0C.

Bulk prime 110g Dex

This works out OG 1098, FG 1026, ABV 9.7%, IBU 43.9, EBC 27.2.

Any thoughts or comments? Things to possibly change a little to make it better or closer to style? Maybe longer boil or different grains schedule? Extra hops? It fits the style requirements on the spreadsheet but if anyone's had experience brewing these any comments would be appreciated[biggrin']

Cheers,

Kelsey

Did you ever brew this one Otto? I know it's from your dark days of extract brewing but I am intrigued. I pretty much arrived at the same recipe by fiddling with the spreadsheet but was concerned on a potential lack of complex malt characters.

I prefer to call them formative days. tonguebiggrin Anyway, I actually didn't end up brewing this in the end, it just sorta got put on the backburner and I forgot about it. I tried a barleywine last year by Sail and Anchor; it was nice while it was cold but when it warmed up it just became sickly and I didn't enjoy it at all. I'm not sure if it was brewed to the English or American style though. Not sure if I'll have a go at one now after that experience, if I did I would brew it to the hoppier American style to try to reduce that sickly sweetness.

I prefer to call them formative days. tonguebiggrin Anyway' date=' I actually didn't end up brewing this in the end, it just sorta got put on the backburner and I forgot about it. I tried a barleywine last year by Sail and Anchor; it was nice while it was cold but when it warmed up it just became sickly and I didn't enjoy it at all. I'm not sure if it was brewed to the English or American style though. Not sure if I'll have a go at one now after that experience, if I did I would brew it to the hoppier American style to try to reduce that sickly sweetness. [/quote']

I've had similar thoughts, thanks for the response.

Archived