Coopers Community

Today's APA Partial - Ideas/Comments/Abuse??

No worries. How would you add it later, just dissolve it in some water, boil it then chill and chuck in? I'm not keen on taking samples while the wort is still hot as I keep f**king up my sample tubes, so I take them once it's been chilled and transferred into the FV, so it's quite vulnerable at that stage.

Cheers for such quick advice as always mate.

Aye that recipe looks fine without the dex mate,

English ales arnt supposed to be strong and the flavour you will get out of that grain bill you wont care.

If you want it stronger in abv make it to 20L (if you want a buzz from it just drink more [lol] )

Okay then, the people have spoken!

I'll drop it back to 20L and leave out the dex. Calcs tell me that it will be OG 1047 and ABV 4.62 which is fine. I'm thinking that 65% efficiency is worst case scenario anyhow, so may be higher.

Cheers lads.

No worries. How would you add it later, just dissolve it in some water, boil it then chill and chuck in? I'm not keen on taking samples while the wort is still hot as I keep f**king up my sample tubes, so I take them once it's been chilled and transferred into the FV, so it's quite vulnerable at that stage.

Cheers for such quick advice as always mate.

When I take a sample from hot wort I run about 100-150ml into a Pyrex jug and put the jug in the fridge. It will be down to temp a short time later so just pour that into the tube and you should be fine.

I'd still run it to 21L or it will change your hop profile and the EBC. Nevertheless, doesn't really matter obviously but so long as you are aware of this.

If you want to add the dex later just put it in the FV, pour a little wort in and mix. Then just top up with remaining wort. However, I reckon you'll be right without it but entirely up to you [biggrin]

Archived