Coopers Community

dry hoping / recipe

Dutchmen

Hi al I have placed a large brew of 60L it has almost come to finish and as I have a spare fermenter was going to rack the brew and then dry hop it. The recipe was

3 X Coopers sparkling Ale

2 X Coopers Light LME

200g Dark Un-hopped spray malt

400g Dry Corn Powder

12g Saaz hops boiled for 20 min

3 X Kit yeast

I am now looking to dry hop and dont know what hop will mix with what is already there and quantities as I am not a very hopy drinker any help would be great

Hiya Dutchmen

It really depends on what you want to achieve. Different hops have different aroma's and flavours.

Most of the info I've seen on here from the experienced brewers is around 20-30g of hops for the 23L brews. So 12g would be quite low for 60L.

You don't "have" to dry hop of course.

If your not into hops then why bother?

Your kits will give you plenty bitterness, 12g of Saaz for 20min will give very little in 60L.

Flavour hops are purely personal unless your trying to match a style (or hide the flavour of a crap beer [innocent] )

If you want to experiment try 1g per litre dry hop 3 days into fermentation, if you dont like the results the hop flavour disipates rather rapidly over a couple of months

I am building up to grain and as I do like to try different things this with my brews, I do like a suttle hint of hops but I have done 1 brew with a recipee I was given and I poured the lot down the sink, the hop flavours and aromas were to overpowering of the brew even after 6 months, so this is why I am starting with small amounts till I get the taste I want, You can taste the Saaz and smell it coming threw the kit in the 60L.

Cheers all

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the last couple of years the SAAZ crops were only getting around 3-4% AA. Therefore, 12g SAAZ @ 20 minutes for a 60L brew, imo is just a waste.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the last couple of years the SAAZ crops were only getting around 3-4% AA. Therefore, 12g SAAZ @ 20 minutes for a 60L brew, imo is just a waste.

As far as I'm aware Saaz has always been a very low alpha acid hop. I completely agree, 12 grams in 60 litres will have no effect.

Archived