Coopers Community

Cooper OS Stout 10L RIS Recipe

StefanR

I have been inspired to brew some Russian Imperial Stout, but can't really justify the 3 can 20L 'How to Brew' recipe, so was thinking of making a 10L brew with the following ingredients -

1 x Can of Coopers OS stout

500g of Light DME

500g of Dextrose

250g of Crystal Malt

50g of Roasted Barley

25g of Fuggles Leaf Hops (4.6%AA) boiled for 10mins

2 x Coopers Ale Yeasts

Any thoughts would be great [biggrin]

Tried inputting this one in one of those spreedsheets, and it gives you this:

OG: 1097

FG: 1019

ABV 10,6 (bottle)

IBU: 88,8

EBC: 234,8

EBC sounds completly crazy! According to the spreedsheet it should be between 59,1 and 78,8. Does anyone know if this matters or just have some inputs?

EBC = European Brewery Convention

EBC 138 is a number in there color system and nothing to do with flavor

The BCJP uses SRM (a more common used system here in Australia and I believe the US use Lovibond) a diffrent measurment of color, I think you can further convert into RBG but im not sure why you would care [biggrin]

Sounds great. I bottled the 3 can version 2 weeks ago. It was FANTASTIC tasting at bottling[love]

This brew was very volcanic during the first 4 days! Make sure you have plenty of head room and nothing that will be ruined underneath...just in case.

Sounds great. I bottled the 3 can version 2 weeks ago. It was FANTASTIC tasting at bottling[love]

This brew was very volcanic during the first 4 days! Make sure you have plenty of head room and nothing that will be ruined underneath...just in case.

I will be brewing this in a 33L FV, so hopefully 23L of headspace will be enough![unsure]

The original Coopers RIS recipe warns of massive krausen overflow.

Why not buy the 3 cans and the dextrose as per the website recipe but only use 10 litres and half the ingredients. When finished, repeat to same process for the remaining ingredients.

Cheers

Archived