Coopers Community

Hoegaarden Style

Smithy

Hey guys, in a few weeks I'll be making up a batch of Belgian wheat beer based on the Hoegaarden tastes. (I say that to cover my a$$ as it won't be the same in the end [lol] ).

This is what I have drafted for the recipe:

1.5kg Dry Wheat Malt Extract

1kg Extract Light Dry Malt Extract

300g Crystal 60

100g Carapils

100g Wheat Caramel Malt

2 Tablespoons Orange Peel

15-30g Crushed Coriander Seeds

14g Chinook @ 60min (14 IBU)

14g Czech Saaz @ 10min (1 IBU)

Wyeast Weihenstephan Yeast

This isn't going to be as light as a standard witbier, but I think adding the crystal and caramel wheat malt might help to the roundness and mouthfeel of the beer.

I plan on throwing the spices in with the grains and steeping for 30mins in 3L water, then sparging to 6L followed by standard boil as per the hop schedule.

How do you think this will turn out? Too much specialty malts? the wrong ones?

Will boiling the spices lose their flavour? Should I throw them in the last 10min or flameout?

Taking any and all advice [biggrin]

Hey smithy i think that looks good to be honest id be eager to find out how it goes and give a try myself after my next attempt of English Bitter. I remember watching a brew video on net where they used crushed corriander seeds in beer was a good result for them. Good luck mate

Cheers mate. I've looked at a few recipes and I've sort of taken a bit from each so it's either going to turn out awesome... or really carp [lol]

Do you remember how they added those spices in that video you watched?

Hey smithy sorry mate i cant seem to find the video on the site they have archived a lot of suff and all i could find was one where they used cardanam never heard of it to be honest.

Ill provide a link to site have a browse yourself if have time i think i remember them doing something with corriander seeds and orange for some reason but thats the way they roll anyway this is differnt watch if want and browse site.

cheers mate good luck http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=april-16-2011---spicing-it-up

Ive just watched the video sorry dont think is it it has the oranges im too drunk sorry good luck cruise site good to watch

[lol] [lol] Don't need to apologise for being drunk! I'll do some more research [rightful]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so the time has come for me to brew this, but I've had to make some changes due to some ordering mistakes [innocent]

Ingredients:

1kg Extra Light LME\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

1kg Wheat LME\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

1.5kg Wheat DME\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

200g Medium Crystal\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

100g Caramel Wheat\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

25g Crushed Coriander Seeds @ 5min\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

2.5 Tablespoons Bitter Orange Peel @ 5min\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

16g Chinook (AA 11.8%) @ 60min\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

20g Hersbrucker (AA 3.5%) @ 10min\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

1x WB-06 Yeast\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

Steeping spices for 30mins after flameout and filling FV to 26L. Fermenting about 20c for the banana esters from the yeast to come through.

Expected ABV about 4.8%

It's going to be a lot darker than I'd originally hoped. As I said I had some ordering mistakes (I'm blaming it on the lack of information on the websites I ordered from).

So in about a month or so I'll let you all know how it turns out!\t\t\t\t\t\t

Lol I totally agree with you too!

The reason for the dry yeast was that after I ended up with liquid malt extract instead of the dry I was thinking I was getting (really, who sells 1kg liquid malt extract? - and without clarifying what you're getting?!), I decided to drop it down to an el-cheapo batch using the dry yeast and lower the grains etc.

Then I added 1kg dried extract and had 500g on hand so I threw that in and bumped up the volume.

I've read some pretty good things about this yeast so I hope it turns out pretty good. Plus for a test batch, half the price I may as well.

Fingers crossed it all works out!

I was gonna say that something is wrong with your Hoegaarden!! lol

I should really start looking for some hoey glasses myself since their beers are great.

Just a quick update on this brew since I'm here; I used 18g Chinook as I forgot to up my recipe. This should bump me to about 18 IBU. I'm leaning on the higher side of IBU's while I'm still doing extract as the sweetness can be a bit overpowering.

I went out to the Chinese grocers and they had no orange peel! well, if they did, they said they did in another language [ninja]

So conveniently I do have a pretty awesome LHBS who had "hoegaarden mix" which is 50/50 Coriander and Orange peel already crushed and ready to throw in.

I took his advice and used 15g and threw it in with my 10min hop addition.

My target OG was 1049 but I only got 1043 with this. Part of that could be because I filled it 1L higher than I meant to [innocent] , but I doubt that would've got me that low, so I'm a little disappointed there, but such is life! (btw, any thoughts would be great).

Rehydrated my yeast as per usual and she had a nice healthy krausen after 6 hours or so. I decided to drop it down to 18c to minimise the banana esters and let the spices shine.

So we'll see how this turns out! I don't know if it'll be any good. But I've learned some things for next time that's for sure! (like buy the right ingredients....)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, so now that this is ready for drinking, I can now give a decent review on it!

The final recipe went as:

1kg Extra Light LME\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

1kg Wheat LME\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

1.5kg Wheat DME\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

200g Medium Crystal (~120)\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

100g Caramel Wheat\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

15g 50/50 mix Coriander/Orange Peel @ 10min\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

18g Chinook (AA 11.8%) @ 60min\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

20g Hersbrucker (AA 3.5%) @ 10min\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

1x WB-06 Yeast\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

Filled to 26L

I hit below my target OG, and the yeast munched away and got it down 2 below my target FG.

3 weeks in the bottle and it's quite nice! It's a lot darker than any wheat should be, but the taste is where it makes up.

It's not a wit bier at all, due to the estery goodness from the yeast, it's masked the spices and is more of a hefewiezen. I'd compare it closely to an Erdinger.

What would I do different next time? Get the right ingredients! Making it lighter, doubling the spices and changing the yeast to something slightly less invasive.

For a Hoey I would get a good Belgium yeast mate but if you came close to an Erdinger hefe than I wouldnt be complaining.

I had a couple of bottles of Erd. Pikantus in a German resturant the other night bloody nice stuff [love]

Archived