Coopers Community

Apple Cider

AB

Hi All,

Couldnt find too many Apple Cider recipes so thought i would share the apple cider i put down last weekend, bottled last night - high hopes.

1 Can Black Rock Cider

1kg Dex

100g Lactose

3L Homebrand Apple Juice

23L

Kit Yeast

OG 1042

FG 1000

Bottled to Coopers longnecks, let you know how it goes.

AB

Keep me posted mate as i recently finished mine also:

Ingredients:

Brigalow Kit

2.4l Berri Apple Juice

2.4l Berri Apple & Pear Juice

Fresh ginger - 15cm diameter

3 apples - good brand

3 cinamon sticks

1kg brigalow dex

Method:

1. Magic bullet ginger and cinnamon

2. Boiled 3 litres water

3. Added brewing sugar, cinamon, diced apple & grated ginger.

4. Rolling boil for 30 minutes.

5. Strained over and mash apple into another pot/container.

6. Pour into fermenter, Tipped in Brigalow kit, all juice and topped to 20 litres with cold tap water, gave a good stir.

Pitched yeast nutrient & yeast at 24c. OG: 1036. 2:30pm 26-2-12

Mine was in fermenter for 14 days, then bottled into coopers PET.

How long was yours in fermenter for?

Hey

I bottled my first Cider on Monday.

Brigalow Kit

1kg Dex

3L Apple & Pear Juice

Beer Finings

Pitched 24 degrees

Its taking longer than usual to Carb up in the bottle but its getting there.

SG 1042

OG .995

Mine took about 10 days to Ferment at around 19 Degrees

G'Day Brandon/Jarvo,

My ferment went for about 10 days and was up and down the whole time.

Had a sample last night of a stubby a week in the bottle and it is definately taking a while to carb in the bottle, it probably could have done with some more lactose to sweeten it up but all in all i think it will be half decent.

I was reading somewhere that its usually a 4 week carb in the bottle anyway so it should improve over time.

Let me know how you both get on with yours.

Cheers,

AB

G'Day Brandon/Jarvo,

My ferment went for about 10 days and was up and down the whole time.

Had a sample last night of a stubby a week in the bottle and it is definately taking a while to carb in the bottle, it probably could have done with some more lactose to sweeten it up but all in all i think it will be half decent.

I was reading somewhere that its usually a 4 week carb in the bottle anyway so it should improve over time.

Let me know how you both get on with yours.

Cheers,

AB

Sounds exactly the same here mate, had a sample of mine also - taking a while to carb up so time will tell. Worst part is waiting. I have a lager that i can drink though ;-)

not that i'm all that experienced, from what i have read and from trial and error it seems that cider never carbs up like beer, and takes longer to do so.

I like my ciders but i like a bit of carbonation, so i hope a cider in the keg will go well.

I'm getting fairly acceptable results from this recipe:

21 Lt. Woolies apple juice (comes in 3 Lt. bottles)

1 cup of black tea (tea bag in a mug of hot water left to go cold)

250 gms Lactose

1 Kg Dextrose

5 gms Lalvin yeast

Start the yeast in a teaspoon of sugar and 250 mls tepid water.

Add the black tea.

Add the Dextrose (I've also used white sugar)

Add the apple juice (mixing and aerating)

Add the started yeast

Wait. I leave it in the fermenter for 14 days (easier to work from weekend to weekend for me)

I keg and force carbonate 18 Lts.

The balance is bottled and corked for traditional Scrumpy or bottled, primed and capped for a fizzy cider.

This has proved popular with the regulars.

Determining alcohol content has been a bit of an issue, testing SG is not my strong point, and since the fructose in the apple juice varies it's usually a fairly potent brew.

Anyway, it does the business.

c.

Hi all I just bottled my cider.

1 can brigalow and two yeast

2.5 lts apple juice

850ml pear juice

1kg dextrose

2 desert spoon cinnamon

30mil of vanilla essence

SG 1040

OG 997

Tasting before bottling it was a pear taste and a lingering apple taste I could not taste the cinnamon or vanilla

Primed most with two carbonation drops. Two with brown sugar two with raw sugar and a drop of vanilla and two with just raw sugar.

I will try to leave it alone for at least 4 weeks will let you know how it goes.[devil]

I will try to leave it alone for at least 4 weeks will let you know how it goes.[devil]

Aye please do, Im liking these brews, Im still fermenting my first its been somewhere close to 3 weeks I think and has only just stopped fermentation activity (OG 1.08 fermed at 18 deg's)

Welcome to the forum mate

Hi all, Well I could not help myself after just a week in the bottles I had to have a taste. I am very pleased with it, It has a nice apple flavour and just the right sweetness. I cant taste the vanilla or the cinnamon but still its good and I am thinking it will get better with age.My wife has demanded I leave it now so it gets better.......she likes it too.......Damn...I have to share.[love]

Hi All,

Couldnt find too many Apple Cider recipes so thought i would share the apple cider i put down last weekend, bottled last night - high hopes.

1 Can Black Rock Cider

1kg Dex

100g Lactose

3L Homebrand Apple Juice

23L

Kit Yeast

OG 1042

FG 1000

Bottled to Coopers longnecks, let you know how it goes.

AB

Hi I have done a few similar brews and one thing I did learn is if you use normal sugar instead of dex etc it comes out with a much fruitier taste and make sure your apple juice is non preservitave

cheers

Dale

My cider is starting to drink really well after 5 weeks in the bottle, carbonation and taste is good.

Will definately do it again but make less alcoholic to bring it back into my taste preference. Maybe more apple juice as well.

Any reasoning behind the normal sugar v dex Dale? Or just experiance with both?

Archived