Coopers Community

Light green warrior

RodS3

Hey Rod.

Wow 70g! How long did you boil them for? I use warrior hops for bittering (i.e.boil for 45-60 mins), which doesn't leave the flavour of the hop, only the bitterness. With such a high alpha acid content, warrior makes for a great bittering hop.

I've never used it for flavour. I take it that it doesn't taste great given your use of the 'sick man' face?

Hi Dylan,

I boiled the warrior for 20 minutes and then strained them into the brew.

There is a slight bitter taste, but there is also a slight fruity taste as well. The reaction to the brew amongst friends has been good. The reaction when I tell them the alcohol content,has been great, they can't believe it. What do you brew with warrior?

Regards,

Rod

Hey Rod.

Like I said, I've only used warrior for bittering. I made a nice brown ale using warrior hops. Recipe below:

2x 1.5kg Light liquid malt

0.5kg Light dry malt

0.25kg medium crystal,

0.167kg chocolate malt

13g warrior 60 for mins,

10g centennial for10,mins,

10g amarillo flame out.

Steep grains at around 67deg for 30 mins.

Unsure of boil size, final volume 23L.

I also dry hopped with 15g amarillo.

WOW!!! 70g 17.2%AA hops boiled @ 20 minutes..... I wouldn't do that in an AG as I would find it extremely bitter never let known with a can of Pale as well..... you may need to leave this for quite sometime in the bottle to mellow a bit.

Most of my brews are keged for immediate consumption!1 But I bottled some for Christmas use and was surprised at hot good it was. I bottled it on 21/12 and will try to keep it for 3 months and see what happens[biggrin]

Hey Rod.

Like I said, I've only used warrior for bittering. I made a nice brown ale using warrior hops. Recipe below:

2x 1.5kg Light liquid malt

0.5kg Light dry malt

0.25kg medium crystal,

0.167kg chocolate malt

13g warrior 60 for mins,

10g centennial for10,mins,

10g amarillo flame out.

Steep grains at around 67deg for 30 mins.

Unsure of boil size, final volume 23L.

I also dry hopped with 15g amarillo.

Is your recipe a partial mash or a full? I've never done either, and what do you mean by Flame Out?

Sorry Rod

I hate it when people use jargon, and I've done it myself...

Partial v. full

OK. I'm not even sure you would call this a partial mash. Someone more grain savvy than I would have to answer that. I like to think of it as just steeping.

The vast majority of the sugars come from the Liquid and Dry malt extracts. The crystal and chocolate grain, give extra colour, flavour, and a little extra sugar.

The crystal and chocolate grains already have been modified in the roasting process (gurus jump in and correct me here if I'm wrong). I forget off of the top of my head, (google 'John Palmer How to Brew' for a better description) but basically put your grains in a pot with water to cover them, and using a thermometer, try to keep the grains between 65-70 degrees for about 30 minutes to get all of the sugars out of the grain without getting too hot, where you get some tannins and other nasties also.

You strain out the grain (or put it in a grain bag in the first place) and use this liquid to boil your hops in.

Flame out

The time you boil hops for determines whether you're getting mostly flavour or mostly bitterness out of them.

Flame out, means when you're done boiling (and lucky enough to use gas and or are allowed to brew in the kitchen) you turn off the heat source (flame) and chuck your hops in at this stage. This way you get the most flavour and aroma out of the hops and essentially no bitterness.

This is why people add their hops at different times. 45-60 minutes boiling for bitterness, ~15-20 mins for flavour and 5 and less minutes for flavour/aroma (again, correct me if I'm wrong here).

Moral to the story

I guess the moral to this whole story is that Warrior are awesome bittering hops because high alpha acids mean you get lots of bitterness out of a smaller amount of hops.

I'd save the warrior to add extra bitterness and go for other hop varieties e.g. amarillo, cascade, etc... for flavour, and only boil them for less than 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.

-Dyl

Hi Dylan,

I've played around with hops just a little, adding them to the wort. But not to the extent that you have.

I've also done likewise with grains, mainly choc, but not worrying about the temp. I didn't realise it was so critical.

Living in Leonora and now Kalgoorlie, knowledge is only gained by trial and error.

Thank the yeast for places like this[smile]

Archived