Coopers Community

initial wort foaming

Stevie

another question fuelled by paranoia,

How do you fill your wort ?,

the reason i ask this is because i like to avoid the foam build up, when filling the wort,

there are two reasons for this,

a) so s.g. reading can be taken straight from the wort

b) so the yeast lands on the liquid not the foam

the best method i've found is to "slow" fill with a garden trigger hose set

on the mist setting, i've tried other method's even trying to fill from the bottom upwards using the 'little bottler" tube.

thanks guys

Maayte....as the resident guru says, foam is........good!!

Providing it is cold foam, when you are adding the cold water do it gently and don't aerate the hot wort as this can lead to oxidization, but once the tub is up to the 23ltr mark beat the living hell out of it, get that oxygen through the liquid to give the yeast some 'air' to tackle their task, namely to give you a buzz (or hangover) :wink:

oxygen in the pre-brewed 23-27C 23L batch is essential for yeast survival. Just use your spoon/paddle to make a clear spot and pitch your yeast and stir well - or pitch it into the foam and stir like buggery. Measure your SG using some wort taken from the tap - or if you really must take your sample from above, grab yourself a wine theif or similar.

As Paul and Al have said, foam is never a problem. Taking extra time and using fine mists in there is probably only more likely to introduce infections into your beer. Aerosols generated from your spray could easily capture wild yeasts or bugs from the air and help them land in your wort.

well thanks guy's looks like i've been heading down the wrong path

completely,

what you all seem to be saying is, Foam is not a problem ?, (i assume

you mean as long as it's not coming out of the top of the wort)

i should take a s.g. reading from the tap ? (i avoided this due to beer is

too good too waste)

and it's ok to stir in the yeast ?- i've always sprinkled in the past as

it says too in the instructions,

Sprinkling is fine, I just like to make damn sure there's no problems with the yeast kicking off (and this normally includes me setting up a liquid culture starter). I am extremely anal about having a (as homely possible) sanitary working environment, so I'm not to concerned about dipping the spoon in there again for a good mix. If your technique isn't quite so clean, however, then you could just be doing the worst thing possible to infect your brew. That's probably why the instructions say not to do it, I'm sure Paul has done all the necessary experimentation to show that there is not a big difference between the sprinkle/stir techniques. However, I do what I do. It works for me. :)

Sprinkle dry yeast onto the wort.

Stir liquid yeast into the wort.

If you like, rehydrate the dry yeast (or prove it with some sugars) for about 15mins before pitching into the wort.

Archived