DavidP17

Hey all am looking at doing a honey wheat beer soon something like

1 can TC Wheat Beer

1kg Dried wheat malt extract

500g honey

Possibly Wyeast 3068

Filled to 23 litres

I just had a few questions regarding the recipe,

Should i add dextrose? i havent really seen many recipes that say to use dex in wheat beers.

Does anyone ever swap out some of the Wheat extract for some LDME?

say 700g Wheat and 300g LDME?

And i have also read that you should try and get clover honey rather than eucalyptus honey, does anyone know if woolies sells this?

Thanks

I wouldnt use Dex in it, only adds to the abv and dries it out some.

One i am working on at the moment

1.5kg Dry Wheat Extract

1.5kg Extra Light Dry Extract

0.75kg honey

0.25kg Caramel Chrystal malt

Ale yeast undecide

hopped maybe Cascade and Hallertauer

going for 21litres

Well,the thing is,the honey pretty much ferments out. If you want some honey flavor,maybe steep 8oz (226.8g) of honey malt to ad to the malt profile. Then replace the honey with a like amount of dextrose. Minus what you'd get from the honey malt used.

If you add honey early to your brewing process it will add no residual sweetness, if you add it later it will add flavour and aroma. Honey makes beer lighter and and crisper than all malt. Honey is 95% fermentable.

Hope this helps [cool]

Hi David, I think your recipie has too much wheat malt. Most wheat beers are made from a 50:50 blend of malt and wheat. The TC Wheat beer is a 50:50 blend and so to is their Wheat liquid extract, so if you put the two together you have a 50:50 wheat beer. So best to lower the amount of dryed wheat malt to about 500-600gms and add 500gms of LDM and then your honey[biggrin]. You don't want to be drinking bread[crying]

If you add honey early to your brewing process it will add no residual sweetness, if you add it later it will add flavour and aroma. Honey makes beer lighter and and crisper than all malt. Honey is 95% fermentable.

Hope this helps [cool]

Ok thanks Tony so you would almost want to 'dry hop' with honey?

Hi David' date=' I think your recipie has too much wheat malt. Most wheat beers are made from a 50:50 blend of malt and wheat. The TC Wheat beer is a 50:50 blend and so to is their Wheat liquid extract, so if you put the two together you have a 50:50 wheat beer. So best to lower the amount of dryed wheat malt to about 500-600gms and add 500gms of LDM and then your honey. You don't want to be drinking bread [/quote']

Oh ok i didnt realise that the liquid wheat extract was 50:50 thanks jason, ill make sure i do the same with the dried extract.

any suggestions as to what hops would go well if any?

also what honey do you guys use?

Hope this helps [cool]

Ok thanks Tony so you would almost want to 'dry hop' with honey?

also what honey do you guys use?

The last beer i made with honey was a Belgiun trappist style and i added the honey to the warm wort as you would a can of malt.

Honey used was Capilano Australian honey which is apparently a blend. A bit hard for us here in Aussie but i have been recommended and read to stay away from Eucalyptus if possible, i am using Manuka next, Coles have it in homebrand much cheaper than alot of others.

Archived