Coopers Community

Easy drinking summer beer

DavidP17

Hey all im planning on putting a brew down next weekend (this will be my 5th!)

Iv played around with some hop boils etc but im yet to make a brew with the only hop additions being dry hops?

Everyone says it adds aroma but im just curious as to how much flavour it will add if any?

I know it will change with the amount you dry hop with i was thinking of putting down something like this:

Coopers OS Draught

800g LDM

200g Wheat dry malt extract (should i drop this and just use 1kg LDM? will be the first time using wheat extract)

200g Dex

25g Centennial pellets dry hopped

Filled to 21 litres

Might use US-05

Im also curious as to when is the best/safest time to dry hop as it seems everyone has different opinions and im sketchy about oxidisation

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Cheers

Hey David,

I think that recipe sounds great! I wouldn't mind trying that one.[joyful] I might go with 1Kg LDM 200g W. Malt and scratch the dex. I think I'd make it to 23L. Maybe not though, 21L might be nice. Go for the US-05 its a good yeast for that recipe.

Dry Hop when the krausen dies back (3-5 days)

Aroma plays a very big part in flavour.

So, added aroma, as per late additions or dry hopping does, as you suggest, adjust flavour.

Centennial (one of my favourites), is primarily a bittering hop but is big on aroma - citrus, floral, slight spice...

25 grams is a good starting point, I recently dry hopped an American IPA with 54 grams and found it quite grassy after a month conditioning, much improved after 4 months.

Centennial is used often in American wheat beers, seeing as you haven't brewed with wheat before, why not go 50/50 with the LDM?

I doubt 200 grams would be very perceptible.

Try to use the Safale US-05, if not, Coopers re-cultured will also do a nice job

Very nice sounding recipe, nicely balanced! Around 5% ABV in the bottle and 25 IBU

I have all these ingredients (450 grams of Centennial arrived yesterday!), a day off and a fermenter about to be emptied...

Cheers

Thanks guys ill put this one down next weekend ! Im just curious to have a play with wheat malt, the first commercial iv had that uses a noticable amount of wheat malt (that isnt technically a wheat beer) is Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, quite nice although it could definately have more galaxy in it IMO

... Stone and Wood Pacific Ale...

Nice drop... Had it when it used to be called Draught Ale and was very fresh - full of hops! Had one recently it tasted like it was lacking in hop aroma.

If that is the style you are looking for, definitely raise the wheat from 200g

• 1 month later...

Everytime I just "chuck" them in I have constant troubles with them blocking the bottler when it comes time to bottle.

Due to this, I would suggest wrapping them very lose in a new (fresh out of packet) Chux cloth or a sterile muslin, cheese cloth, stocking, fine mesh material like Swiss Voile or could use a hop sock/bag.

Archived