Coopers Community

Another fermenting issue.

Brendon

Novice brewer here.

My current batch (below) is not fermenting as my previous ones did.

Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale

1.5kg Amber Malt Extract

12g Willamette pellets

Safale US-56

Although I am getting plenty of bubbling through the airlock (for a couple of days now), there has been no thick layer of foam develop on the surface like my other brews. However, there are bubbles rising to the surface. Approximate temp: 23'c. Is there anything to be concerned about?

Looks like a question for the Morgans website.

I am not sure of the contents of the Morgans product.

Although I have used US-56 and found that it doesn't produce as much of a scum ring as other ale yeast strains can.

Lager yeast strains are particularly notorious for producing very little scum. Your beer will probably turn out fine.

Thanks for the reassurance Paul.

Note taken about the US-56, as this is the first time I've used it.

I have brewed stout before using Morgans and it DID froth up as normal.

Oh well, such are the trials and tribulations!

• 3 weeks later...

Would have to say it is the yeast, I have made heaps of Morgans Amber Ale, along with Coopers Sparkling Ale my favourite two brews :wink:

I have tried various yeasts over the years and some scum (to varying degrees) some don't at all.

PS: Not a bad recipe for a 'novice' pretty clost to one of mine although I brew at 21 degC and use Cascade pellets and plugs, pellets for bittering and plugs for flavour and aroma.

If your into experimenting with yeasts try Wyeast 'American Ale II' #1272 it's a liquid yeast and is arguably one of the best on the market. Not cheap, sells here (WA) for $15.00 a sachet, but if you do it right you can get up to 4 brews from one sachet which brings the price right down.

Quite a few boutique breweries here in WA use this yeast, try a stubbie of Little Creatures Indian Pale Ale, they definately use it. :wink:

Their little creatures pale ale (LCPA) is bloody awesome, if you can make an extract copy of the LCPA, capturing all that nice Cascade hop aroma, I'll be a regular buyer. I did an allgrain LCPA copy, so much work, but I love the stuff. Coopers would do well to say "stuff the market research" and do a few extra special brews like that, still all malt, water, and hops, but just put some extra love on the aroma at the end with some cascade or something. If the LCPA was $20 cheaper per carton, it'd be hard for me to choose between CPA and LCPA! 8)

Little Creatures also use Chinook hops as well, cannot find these in pellet or plug form at all. :cry:

Apparently they have got some sort of licence from Customs/Ag dept; to import the flowers direct from the USA. I tried to weasel a few grams off them but the Customs regs are that tight they have to account for every gram and Customs come and take the used flowers away for destruction almost as soon as they come out of the process. :cry:

Name: Little Creatures Brewery

Date: 27-08-04 10:34

We use cascades and goldings in the kettle and whole hop flowers (which is the hard part), in our hopback. IBU is 35ish. Quantities and the rest are under lock and key. Have fun,.

Name: Little Creatures Brewery

Date: 30-08-04 10:59

No chinook in the boil, only in whole hop flower form in the hop back. Cascade whole hop flowers along with it. You wont find either of the strains that we use here in Australia as we bring them in specifically for our own use. They do come from Portland Oregan and they are vacume sealed and stay in a customs controlled quarantine on site in the brewery. Even if anyone could get somone to send them some from ther US customs would be right on to it. Even after we have used them the go into special bins and customs comes and takes them away for disposal.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/read.php3?id=18600

There ya go, straight from the horses mouth. :)

Archived