Coopers Community

Scum on fermenter lid

c46224

Hi all,

I am relitively new to home brew and have made 5 successful brews to date.

Yesterday I made a new brew, Coopers Draft, I added 600g Dextrose, 400g light dry malt and 200g Corn syrup. Today when I came home from work I noticed the airlock was empty, the normal scum ring was there plus scum all over the inside of the fermenter lid. You could see that some foam or scum had actually came through the air lock. I was unsure what had caused this so I topped up the air lock. The brew immediately started to bubble madly through the air lock.

Will my brew be ok, it is at about 25 deg and the aroma coming from the air lock is devine.

Wayne.

Your brew should be fine. The foaming is an indication of strong yeast activity. This is normally more prevalent in darker brews - have a look at the Russian Imperial Stout thread.

Higher brew temperatures increases yeast activity. Try to start the brew around 20-21decC.

You have caught your brew while plenty of CO2 is being produced so the risk of anything bad getting into your brew is low.

This scenario is perfect for the cling-wrap method - you would have only needed to toss the dirty film away and replace it with a fresh sheet. Minimal cleaning required!!

I dont quite understand the clingwrap method. With CO2/krausen pouring out of the fermenter, and the clingwrap effectively air-tight sealing the same fermenter, don't you get some sort of "puff" where a CO2/krausen foam explodes all over your brewhaus? Or do you put heaps of holes in it to releave the pressure?

Archived