Coopers Community

AWESOME COOPERS DARK ALE RECIPE

BULA BOY

G'day All!!!

New to Home Brewing(6 Months Old)[happy] and First time on Talking Brew[biggrin]. I'm not a keen dark beer person however two months ago the local Woolies had the Coopers Dark Ale on Special for $7.50 so I decided to give it ago.

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale(Orignal Series)

500g Light Dry Malt

250g Maltodextrin

250g Dextrose

150g Crystal Grains(Steeped-20mins)

12g Cluster Hops(Dry)

Kit Yeast

22 litres of Water

Forgot to take the OG & FG Reading[annoyed]

Thanks BillK. Initially I regretted using cluster hops (don't ask me why)[happy] however after tasting the awesome drop it wasn't a bad decision after all. Next time I will try using Pride Of Ringwood Hops.

I would never use POR as an aroma hop (dry hopping)!

Being high in AA does make it a great bittering hop, as a dry hop, however, it is very rough. [sick] (Think Foster's Lager)

Stick with the cluster

Forgot to take the OG & FG Reading[annoyed]

Welcome to the forums.

I would reccomend you get into the habbit of taking the FG. Only reason being is that if it is still fermenting it could be dangerous.

I love dark beers so will be definately giving it ago. I would probably add more Light Dry Malt and leave out the maltodextrin.

• 2 weeks later...

I added 1.362kg (3lbs) of Munton's plain amber DME to mine,with kent Golding & German Haulertauer hops. But I also added bourbon soaked French oak to it. Leave out the bourbon & oak,& it's a creamy toasty lil taste with a ruby glow to it.

Archived