Coopers Community

Wanted: creamy delicious stout

Neck

Was wondering how everyone goes about getting that "guiness draught" type body and constistency in their beers.

I recently tried doing an stout using an OS stout can and some liquid malt only topped to 18 litres and although it does have a bit more body than usual (and tastes absolutely delicious) it just doesn't stick in my moustache the same way :(

I've heard about using oats and/or flaked barley. How do you guys use these?

I must taste the creamy velvet! [crying]

I always thought that the creaminess in guiness was done via the nitrogen that they served it with.

When you bottle your beer with the sugar it creates CO2 which is what gives it its fizz. When guiness is served on tap it is served with nitrogen which gives it a creamy head. I guess if you have a keg system you could always carb it with nitrogen.

It is the creamy head of Guinness which makes it seem thick and filling. If you keg you can get a similar result using a nitrogen/carbon dioxide gas mix to dispense your beer. If you don't keg, don't worry! I've got much the same result by using the Thomas Coopers Irish Stout, very low priming rate and using a plastic syringe as I've described in this thread: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=23488

It makes a very tight creamy head, which leaves a creamy moustache on your upper lip when you take a sip [joyful]

It is the creamy head of Guinness which makes it seem thick and filling. If you keg you can get a similar result using a nitrogen/carbon dioxide gas mix to dispense your beer. If you don't keg, don't worry! I've got much the same result by using the Thomas Coopers Irish Stout, very low priming rate and using a plastic syringe as I've described in this thread: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=23488

It makes a very tight creamy head, which leaves a creamy moustache on your upper lip when you take a sip [joyful]

+1

Totally agree.

You can also buy different taps to help pour a stout. However, as mentioned it is carbonated using a Nitro/Co2 mix and yes, you can get this gas if you have kegs.

Edit: - forgot to mention you do need a different regulator if you want to use a nitrogen/Co2 mix

Amazing, I wasn't away of nitrogen being used this way, although that would explain how come only the draught cans with the nitrogen widget seem to get close to the stuff on tap at the local irish pub.

Thanks heaps guys

Was wondering how everyone goes about getting that "guiness draught" type body and constistency in their beers.

[crying]

OATS!!

I have just finished a keg of my ALDI Oats Stout (try repeating that after a few beers!)

This is now the house stout, enjoyed by all.

It started as a draft (not draught) recipe, ie: trying instant oats for the first time in a basic extract stout recipe but grew into something more complex with the addition of dark dme, light crystal, choc malt and roast barley and EK Goldings.

The oats were roasted(toasted?) at 170C until the kitchen smelled like baking biscuits and steeped with the grain in a separate bag and left in for ten minutes into the boil then removed.

The body is incredible and the mouthfeel is definitely velvety. The head is solid off white, very creamy and lasts and lasts.

I suggest for a start, made to 20 litres

Coopers OS Stout or Irish Stout

BE2

And 200-250grams of rolled or instant oats

(apparently they are "pre-gelantinised" and boiling is not necessary but I did anyway)

Steep the oats for at least an hour in hot water that has just come off the boil, strain and use the liquid to dissolve the BE2 and extract.

For a higher FG you could ditch the dextrose (in BE2) and sub the BE2 with a kilo of DME (light, dark or a blend of both) and 200 grams maltodextrin.

This should give you a good idea of what the oats add.

Thanks! Will be sure to try the oats in the future.l The stout I ended up with seemed to still be a crowd pleaser. Used all malt, 1 can OS stout and a can of pale malt finished with some fuggles and filled to 18L, I'll try adding oats next time

Hey, This is a real winner with me... rich, creamy and smooth1

1 x Can of Coopers Stout

1 x Coopers enhancer No. 2

250gms dark brown soft sugar (supermarket)

300gms of molasses, I use the Melrose Organic from Coles. Molasses must be "Black Strap" & unsulphured.

250gms of flaked barley. This adds body, creaminess to head and head retention to beer.

Up to 4 litres of chilled water to reduce wort temp and as a barley rinse.

Method.

Can and enhancer into fermenter as per normal.

Dissolve sugar and molasses in about 500ml of hot water, stir vigorously to dissolve, add to brew stirring in well.

With the flaked barley bring 2 lts of water to the boil, stir in barley and simmer for 30mins stirring occasionally. The barley will swell and absorb a lot of the water. Strain barley into fermenter and rinse barley in sieve with the cold water. You may have a couple of lots to do depending on size of sieve however divide the cool rinse water between the number of "sieve lots".

Now fill fermenter to 23 litres for a temp of 20 to 22 degrees, take OG (about 1050) pitch kit yeast (double lot if you can). Ferment until ready, 12 -14 days, FG about 1010.

Just had a few of these on the weekend at 1 year old.... Unbelievably awesome [love]

I am doing two of these for next year! I found my Stout[biggrin]

Archived