Coopers Community

PAUPM1111

weggl

Paul, I am about to make your Fat Yak recipe, however you said \u201cIt is like fat yak on steroids\u201d, I was wondering what you meant by this?

I find Fat Yak a little overpowering in the Cascade. Does you statement mean it has a stronger Cascade taste? If so I was thinking of either reducing the boil time or reducing the amount of Cascade.

Could please you let me know what you meant?

Warren

It means that if you find fat yak a little over powering you will find that a "fat yak on steroids" will blow your head off and then maybe rough you up a bit.

Not sure what recipe you are doing so I can't offer any advice.

One of these days I plan on doing the following Fat Yak inspired beer (Steroid free version Warren [biggrin] ):

Fat Yak (ish)

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

250 grams Dextrose

15g Cascade @10min

15g Nelson Sauvin @10min

15g Nelson Sauvin @0min

15g Cascade hops dry hop

Yeast: US-05

This recipe has been on my to do list for some time but I can't remember if it was recommended by someone or if I put it together myself [unsure]

Muddy it was Paul's recipe

Coopers Real Ale

1.5kg coopers liquid light malt

200g crystal grain (cracked and steeped for 30 mins)

20g cascade 20 min

10g nelson 20 min

15g nelson 0 min

2 packs coopers yeast or 14g

What do you think of it?

I like your idea of 15 Cascade, would cut the overpowering a bit.

I also thought the YAK i tasted was pretty malty, so the 1.5 of liquid malt might be the go.

Warren

Hi Weggl,

I guess what I meant was that I think in terms of hoppiness the recipe I did certain had more punch than the commercial product - like what Muddy Water stated.

If you think the commercial version is overbearing - I would back off the hop boil. Another version I have heard is a great drop is:

Coopers Real Ale

1kg LDME

200g crystal steeped

15g Cascade @ 10 min

10g Nelson Sauvin @ 5 min

US-05

I'm sure Muddy's version would be very tasty too. Personally I like my beers hoppy - the recipe I did did mellow over time.

Archived