Coopers Community

TC Lager with a twist - your thoughts

Pistnbroke

I am thinking bout putting down something a bit different to my usual throw in a kit and sugar brewing method when I come back from Darwin in 3 weeks time, Ive been bitten by the brewing bug, and looking to try something different.

This will be the first time I am using hops, so I am thinking just a simple quick boil/dry hop with some finishing tea bags might be the go as a starter to see where I want to go with it.

Anyway, Ive been playing with some ingredients in a spreadsheet I have, and have come up with the following:

TC Heritage Lager kit

1KG BE 2

250g LDME

12g Pride of ringwood @ 15 mins to up the bitterness slightly

12g Cascade (dry hop)

12g Nelson Sauvin (Dry hop)

Safale US05 yeast (I am planning to use US05 as this is about the closest I will get to a lager yeast, as I don't have a brewing fridge/temp control)

23L batch

Estimated ABV comes out at roughly 4.7% (Around where I would like)

Estimated IBU comes out at 26.6 (Though I dont really understand IBU that well yet, all I know is that it corresponds to the bitterness of the beer).

What are your thoughts on this recipe? I am a regular drinker of aussie lagers, though after brewing my own find the commercial varieties boring, so I am thinking this would suit me nicely with the extra hop additions.

Yeah I agree with Muddy, a 15 minute boil is not going to up the bitterness much at all, if any. All you are really doing at 15 minutes is extracting for flavor.

If you want to increase the bitterness, I would be doing a 30 minute boil with those hops.

Thanks for the help fellas, much appreciated, the main aim was to increase the bitterness using the POR, as past experience has shown me that majority of the kits that I have tried are very lacking in the bitterness department, while I was aiming to extract the fruity/citrusy flavours/aroma that the cascade and NS are famous for. I might just try the NS/cascade addition doing a quick boil as you suggested Bill to extract some flavour from the cascade/NS, and decide where to go from there.

Will I need to dry hop an extra 12g of each later on to get the aroma, or should the quick boil be enough?

Archived