Coopers Community

Guinness Clone

Absolutely Bill! Just way too many to list. You can even choose between Guinness Original or Export (original is what is brewed in Dublin and lower in alcohol).

Just remember that even Guinness hasn't been able to clone their own recipe outside of St James' Gate, Dublin! The closest I have encountered (to my taste) was Malaysia & South Africa!!

I really don't think a kit or packaged recipes proclaiming to be a clone would satisfy.

Search for an Irish Stout recipe and then tweak it to make it your own! Call it "Better than Guinness" because it will be. Their are quite a few recipes on here and MattA and Trusty1 just assisted me with one for an FES.

A big brewery has to keep accountants happy and brew to a common denominator for a mass market. We don't. We brew HAND CRAFTED beer and don't scrimp on quality.

That's my prostilyzing (for now) [innocent]

hi bill,

give this one a try. the old lady's favourite drop is a Guinness. just the other day she said this one tasted like the real thing. like coffee.

1.7 kg O.S. stout

500g LDM

500g dex

480g malto-dex (liquid)

5ml liquid smoke (hickory)

14g cooper's yeast sprinkled dry pitched @ 20C

21L water

O.G. 1.052

p1080313s.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Gee that looks pretty good.

My only problem is:

I can't get hold of liquid maltodextrin but assume dried should work ok.

I don't know what liquid smoke is or where to get that either. It sounds like some sort of drug [rightful]

p1080316.jpg

hi bill,

the big yellow bottle is the malto-dex the ingredients read: corn syrup, glucose-fructose, water, blackstrap molasses, natural flavour. if your M-D is in dry form then i would use 20% less (400g)

the liquid smoke is found at my grocery store in the BBQ section. it's used to flavour meats. i kinda' thing it's hickory smoke perculated through water. only a little bit goes a long way. if you can't find it at your grocery store i'll send you a bottle.[biggrin]

ingredients are: natural liquid smoke.

chad

• 1 month later...

About that Receipe Canadian Eh!l... and maybe anyone else opinion. Would it be a good idea to use dark malt extract or even chocolate malt extract instead of DME? If so... maybe drop the Hickory? The irish stout is my next one and would like it not too coffee taste like, just enough. I love stout but not when they are too chocolaty or coffee like. I guess I like them dry. So?

If you haven't brewed the kit before, I would brew it to the instructions and then try and change stuff to make it better. It makes a pretty good drop without tweaking.

I tried a chocolate stout not that long ago and thought it was a real good idea. I am looking to add some chocolate malt to the next one I do.

Hi Yannick,

The reason I like the recipe I posted above is in it's simplicity. I am able to buy all of the ingrentients at the grocery store.

One can tweek it. I might substitute the corn syrup for 500g LDM or 566g LME (amber). I wouldn't omit the hickory, though. In my option it is what makes this recipe unique and gives it the Guinness taste/feel. 5ml of the liquid smoke is the perfect amount. The smokey aroma is very subtle but it's there. One really "feels" the smoke at the tail end, at the back of the mouth. I don't know how to explain it, really.

I truly recommend this recipe for someone looking for something that is easy, cheap and fine. Come to think about it, isn't that what we all want.[devil]

Chad

P.S. In the time I pondered this response I quaffed a pint of this brew @ 2 1/2 months. Pretty damn good![cool]

Went to the mart and couldn't find the "hickory". Looked in the spice alley, the sauces alley... where do you get that? I had to do the Irish stout without it.

1.7 kg. TC Irish stout

500g dark malt extract

400g dextrose

kit yeast

21 degree celcius

Will see how it goes. And since we're both in the same country... could you tell me where do you find that "hickory" stuff. SuperC... Metro... IGA?? Thanks!!

Gee Yannick, I can't really say where in the grocery store i found it. The next time i'm at the store I'll have to check it out. Too bad you didn't find it before you put down your brew. Maybe though the TC Irish will have the taste you are looking for without the smoke. I have some smoked malt that i'm planning on using in an upcoming brew that might give the same or better effect. I'll let you know.

Chad

P.S. I shop at "Save on Foods"

Archived