Coopers Community

Stout Recipe

ChrisH11

Being a homebrewer of limited resources I must use fermenters only. I have just cracked my oatmeal stout and I thought it might be of interest.

Ingredients:

1 can of Coopers Stout Extract

1 Kg Coopers Brew Enhancer No. 2

500gms Coopers Light Dry Malt

250 gms Dark Brown Sugar

200 gms Rolled Oats

Method:

The usual sterilising routine.

Put the rolled oats into a 2 Ltr jug, top up to 2 Ltrs from the hot water tap and leave for at least 20 minutes, then pour into another 2 Ltr. jug through a sieve. Make up that jug to 2 Ltrs of liquid with hot water from the tap.

Put the extract, brew 2, the malt and the sugar into the fermenter, add the oatmeal liquid and combine thoroughly.

Add 4 Ltrs of hot water straight from the tap.

Then make up the fermenter to 21 Ltrs using cold water before casting the yeast.

Wait 2 weeks for our little yeast friends to do their business and the stout is made.

The taste is milder than a Guinness, more like a Murphy's, there's no oaty flavour, it tastes malty with a dark aftertaste that is pleasing to the palate. Head retention is great.

I've kegged 1 batch and force carbonated it so we're drinking that one. I have another keg naturally carbonating quietly in the brewcellar (I also park the car there).

Alcohol is high, matched only by demand for a pint over my bar.

Chris Horgan

Sound great!! [biggrin]

I'm planning to make another stout soon, with some grain (crystal and roasted barley) and dried malt extract. I thought about adding oats too, to make it into a bit of an oatmeal stout. But reading through various forums it seemed that oats need to be mashed?? On saying that I have a book "Clone Brews" which has a recipe for an oatmeal stout, which doesn't include mashing... and that's where I got confused [crying]

Is your finished brew cloudy??

The stout wasn't cloudy at all, there were plenty of solids in the bottom of the fermenter but it looks like Guinness in the glass and the head settles very slowly. I have a creamer tap on the fridge and it hardly needs the help.

c.

Oats will need to be mashed if they are malted which will convert the available starches onto sugar. Although, they lack the diastase enzyme needed to do this and must be mashed with barley.

Flaked or rolled oats, when used for body or mouth-feel don't require mashing. Steeping as per crystal malts works OK.

+1 Borris and thanks to Chris for posting his experience.

I have found the Coopers Stout Kit a little thin and a tad sweet for my taste and for what I seek in a Stout.

Bought Oats yesterday in anticipation of adding more mouthfeel and plan on the addition of Roast Barley to balance the sweetness (Maybe not).

Chris, do you recall the FG? Looking at your recipe, without the oats, it would come in between 1012 & 1015? I am interested to how many points the oats added for you. I'm aiming for 1018+

Thanks...

I have found the Coopers Stout Kit a little thin and a tad sweet for my taste and for what I seek in a Stout.

Alot of the fellas (and the lasses) on this site have tried

-1 Can of OS Stout

-1 Can of OS Dark Ale

-1Kg of Dextrose

-Pitch both yeast sachets (or recultured yeast)

which makes an outstanding drop. I make sure that I have atleast one or two of this brew at all times (being mainly a stout drinker I can't run out of the basic needs).

It is a good clone for the Best Extra Stout that Coopers produce.

Thanks Guys, recipe sounds great. An FES was actually close to what I was aiming for.

Will still add the oats for body.

Quite high in IBU's so I imagine that will balance with the sweetness I wish to avoid without going "dry", won't need the roast barley. Will use an english ale yeast for I want the fruity esters.

Cheers

Newtown the FG was 1016 I think the dark sugar added more than the oats. My original intention was an oaty taste, having been prompted for years by a number of patrons of my bar (the men of the family).

I've boosted the FG of a few brews to astronomical heights in the past only to find the customers have a couple of pints and play the cockroach (lie on their backs with their legs waving in the air) so I tend to keep it down now, it makes the barbies last longer.

I'm anticipating the naturally carbonated stout will taste different to the force carbonated. I did test batches of draught, forced and natural carbonation, and the natural won the contest.

Archived