Coopers Community

Coopers IPA Kit

DavidB25

This IPA brew is just my second batch and was curious as to why the light malt extract balled up like popcorn balls the size of baseballs when I added it to the hot 2L of water, dextrose and IPA mixture? As I stirred in the remaining liquid to the 23L mark the "balls" of malt appeared to have dissolved. I added then pitched the yeast, screwed on the top and it appears to producing gas as the airlock started moving after 15 -30 minutes. Did I add the malt too fast, thus causing it to clot into clumps?

I hate when the malt does that. I normally add it a little slower and use some cold water to make it up to 5 L when adding it.

Not a bad thing, but it can give you a false OG (Only important when wanting an estimated ABV). Just let it sit there and it will disolve and do its thing over time and all will be well.

Clumping can be reduced by adding the Light Dry Malt first - as per the instruction on the top flap of Coopers Light Dry Malt carton. [wink]

Here is a low quality

demonstrating the process.

I always add the DME 1st,even when using a hop tea. Then add the LME,etc. The DME (Dried Malt Extract)needs more heat & a slow pour to at least get smaller clumps. But using boiling water taken off the heat will make the clumps dissolve pretty quick.

Archived