Coopers Community

Canadian Blonde FG

PaulM1111

Hi all,

Needing some advice for my canadian blonde's FG:

Reciepe was Tin of CB Goop, 1kg BE1 and 2 coopers yeasts (1 was the tin yeast and the other was a real ale yeast I had lying around and wanted to get rid of it).

OG was roughly 1038 and after 10 days in the fermenter at about 20-22 degrees its been sitting on 1014 for the last 2 days. To my calcs that's only 3.8% alc....

Is this good to keg? I was expecting a lower FG...

Cheers.

Hi paul,

i made a Canadian blonde with basicly the same recipe to 23L not too long ago. the O.G. was 1.042 and the F.G. was 1.010. ABV4.7% before priming.

i would think your brew should drop in density a little more than 1.014. but, if it's holding steady at that reading over consecutive days then it's done.

I have had a canblonde in the brew fridge for 5 days at 20C (may have slipped up to 22-3) and it is at 1014. I used BE1 and 300gms of LDM which was floating around the brew cupboard. I wondered if it was a bit high as it looked like fermentation had slowed/stopped. I looked at a brew calculator on another site and punched in the details of my brew and their ballpark figures confirm Pauls post re FG of 1012-1016, not that we don't believe!

Canblonde is definitely one brew I like to leave in the fermenter a bit longer to get a nice clear beer. Will be leaving it another week before bottling.

If FG has not been reached it is not as critical if kegging compared to bottling into glass.

as an aside - as I usually have 2 brews going at once, or at least start one when FG has been reached, and only one brew fridge, I take the brew at FG out of the fridge and place it in a plastic container (it's black, but you could use any colour) with a few bottles of frozen water with another identical container (also black)inverted as a lid. This keeps the brew at reasonable temps until kegging/bottling.

Thanks for the replys. I think I will just leave it until the weekend - it will have had 2 full weeks in the fermenter and will be done for sure by then.

In terms of brew fridges - I bought a second hand fridge on the weekend and will be looking to get a temp controller set up. I have tested it over night and the warmest setting seems to be on about 10-12 degrees - would this be okay for lagers before I get the temp controller? I know it's too low for ales.

If anyone has any experience with temp controllers - the best one to look at - bearing in mind I have no idea about wiring anything!

Thanks.

This one you need to wire in, but I it comes with some instructions to make it easy. This can wire into a heat pad and a fridge so you just set and forget. If the temperature is too low it will turn the heat belt on, if the temperature is too high it will turn the fridge on.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592

The site was having a few issues last time I tried to visit there but it eventually loaded.

Archived