Coopers Community

Becks clone but does it sound right?

AndrewJ14

Hi guys, The recipe I have been given was for a becks style beer, It called for full can of lager extract and BE2 but it also calls for another full can of light malt extract. Finishing hops to be added. Anyone ever added 2 can to a 23litre brew with only 1kg of sugars? Is the recipe right? Or will this not work?

With just the 1.7 kit plus the 1.5 kg of LME @ 23 lites would be SG 1044 so that about 4.5 % abv.

If you add the 1 kg of BE2 that is going to give you 6.5% (Bock Bier)

Use the two can plus half the BE2 would be around 5.5%

You may need to add extra hops else the brew would be too sweet.

Here's my 2c. I used the OS lager can,3lbs (about 1.4kg) of Munton's plain extra light DME,1oz Kent Golding hop pellets in 1 1/4G of boiling water for 15mins. I made a starter of 1 1/2C of water with 1/4C of the DME for the kit yeast before working things up in the brew kettle. After the 15min hop tea boil,I took it off the heat & mixed everything up. Topped up to 23L,& pitched the starter. OG was 1.044,took 3 weeks to ferment & clean up. FG was 1.012,so that's 4.8%ABV. I then dry hopped with 1oz Willamette for 1 week & bottled. If I'd have had a siphon set up,I could have had about 70 beers! I did get 60 11.2-12oz bottles,& 1 740ml PET. I call it "Summer Pale" ale. It has a beautiful amber color,the flavor looks to be a malty,lil hoppy ale that borders on an IPA.

Archived