Coopers Community

Unreal Lager

GeorgeB

Afternoon gents......well, it's afternoon here, anyway. I just put down a variation of the "Unreal Ale" recipe that I've been wanting to try.

1 can Real Ale

250 grams of maltodexrine

750 grams of dextrose

500 grams of amber DME

Saflager S23 lager yeast

Oh, and an aroma hop tablet I've had in the refrig for a while. Lame, I know, but what the heck. Even though it's the last day of winter here in the US, it is still at about 13C in my basement, so it's still cold enough to brew lagers down there.

I've wanted to try this since last summer, when I brewed the "Unreal Ale" recipe that's in the "How To Brew" area. I thought it was fantastic, and tasted very much like a lager that is brewed locally here, called Yuengling Lager. We'll see in a few weeks how close it is. [biggrin]

A bit of an update - this brew has had a quite active fermentation! It's the first time I have actually seen activity in the airlock of my Coopers FV, to the point that I've had to keep an eye on it so that the water didn't all get thrown out. When I made the actual ale version of this last year it didn't do this. So, either I have one great brew going here, or [perish the thought] it's infected. [crying] Going to take a gravity reading tomorrow, so we'll see...

• 3 weeks later...
George, get rid of the air lock, go "Gladwrap" that clingy plastic stuff, use the big "o"ring out of the lid. Asak Muddy, he's the Gladwrap king.

Weggl

I am considering giving that a try. I racked to a secondary carboy about a week or so ago. I'm looking to bottle it within the next few weeks. [w00t]

'

• 3 months later...

Cracked the first one yesterday. Good flavor, very smooth - but when I do this one again, it'll be with the ale yeast. It's better as an ale, no doubt. The ale yeast adds to the flavor profile. Oh well, that why we home brew, right?[lol]

Archived