Coopers Community

English Bitter

MathewE

g'day all, newbie to brewing, I'd like to brew Coopers English Bitter and wouldn't mind keeping close to recipe as possible, just for starters. I've checked out the forum and other info and this is what I've gathered:

Other brewers recipes:

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

1kg LDM

250g DEX

15g Fuggles

Yeast S-04

Made to 21L

1.7kg Cooper's English Bitter

1kg LDM

500g DEX

250g Molasses

Yeast supplied with the kit

Made to 21L

Recipe on site:

1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

200g Molasses

Made to ??L

Recipe supplied with can:

1kg BE1

500g LDM

Made to 23L

I'm planning to use the recipe on the can because I'm not sure what yeast S O 4 is and stuff like that. I prefer heavy beers - full flavour. My first brew ever was the stock standard Coopers Lager supplied with their home brew kit - great brew for the first time. I now have a European Lager down a.t.m., unfortunately they say it takes around 12 weeks to cure in the bottle. I love all different kinds of beers, and I basically grew up with Southwark Bitter (the old Green Death as it was better known), I've now seen the light, now I'm a Coopers Fan and always will be[cool]

I thought the recipe on the can is just to add 500g LDM??

I put this brew down last Friday. I wanted to use 1kg LDM but I could only get my hands on 500g. So I ended up making a bit of a mix up brew. In the end the ingredients were:

0.5kg LDM

0.45kg Brew Enhancer 1

And a few table spoons of Molasses

Made to 23 Litres

Whether that amount of molasses will make a difference, I'm not sure, but it was worth a try. If you can wait a few weeks I could tell you how it's turned out [biggrin]

what does molasses do by the way?[happy]

In the recipe section under "Extra Smooth Bitter" is says the molasses produces a slight buttery character which smoothes the perceived level of bitterness. [biggrin] That is for 200g of molasses though, which is more than I used.

Hi guys! I'm about to brew my first Bitter, and I'm confused; I made a stout about a month ago, and it was quite good, even if I only used table sugar (I know, I know...but I just wanted to make one batch to get the procedure down).

I was going to use one can of the English Bitter, along with 500g of Light Malt Extract. Should I add anything else? I've heard to use 500g of LME and 500g sugar; 500g LME & 500g dextrose; and I'm confused. Can someone help me out?

Appreciated!

Paul

hi all, I'm still a little bit confused... I'm trying to work out which recipe to make either: 1.7kg english bitter and 500g LDM. Or, 1.7kg english bitter, 500g LDM and 200g molasses. which one would be best? I like the idea of the 'buttery' finish the molasses is supposed to give. By the way is the Coopers BE1 their own blend of dextrose? is there any difference in other brands?

As Muddy said, try making it to the recommended recipe on the side of the can in the first instance.

When developing the English Bitter beer kit, I had commercial bitters like Adnams in mind. [biggrin]

BE1 is a blend of Dextrose and Maltodextrin, 60/40

Archived