Coopers Community

Toucan Real Ale And APA ?

Hey Slurtis,

Have you checked THIS RECIPE out? I made it except I used East Kent Goldings rather than Nelson as I didn't have/coulden't get any. As the name implies, it is very strong, and I reckon leaving the dex out (or some/most) of it or replacing it with some light dry malt, would work out great. I have over half my batch left from a few months ago and will be leaving them for at least a few more to 'mature'.

good luck with it, report back when you choose a recipe and let us know how you get on.

That looks like a good recipe, I'm surprised I didn't notice it when I was browsing the how to brew section for ways to use my APA cans (I bought a case of 6 about two months ago) I think I might give this one a go and substitute the dex with LDM The hard part is going to be deciding which hops to use... I have a pretty good variety in the freezer[cool] I'm having a hard time not just making SMOTY with the whole lot of APA I have though, it is delicious! [love]

Having recently made this one, I'd stick with the dex rather than trying to go all malt with that sort of high gravity brew. It works out superbly as per recipe!

If you can't find the nelson sauvin you can safely substitute with all sorts of hops as the vintage ale has different hop aroma from year to year...

It's a great recipe.

How long did it take for yours to come good?

I made it with cascade and tried it after a couple of months and had to tip it out - I forget the exact flavour dynamics but it just wasn't pleasant to drink at that stage. I'll have to try another one again soon as it must be about 4 months old by now.

I gave it to my brother in law (he calls himself a 'sommelier', I call him a waitress) when it was only 4 weeks old. He turned up his nose with that 'oh no, I drink Grange not home brew' look, but tried it anyway. He came back for more. I had another last night (about 7 weeks old) and it's still awesome. I was surprised how early it was not just drinkable, but really good, I was expecting it to be like a big stout and need 3 months to settle down.

I also used cascade in a extra strong vintage ale as per the recipe, and disliked it for months.

That is, until a week or two ago - five and a half months bottle age, and it's a definite winner, can't believe how much it has changed.

I'm wondering if mine is drinking well early due to the fact that the re-cultured Pale Ale yeast conked out at 1030 and I then threw in the packet yeast. It got to a much lower FG than I expected (1008). Or maybe it is the strength of the NS hops masking any immaturity?

mine has great characteristics, but the alcohol 'flavour' was just too strong. Like I said, I didn't have NElson Sav hops so used EKG (which I think were used in the 2009 vintage[unsure] ). Would like to try some NS, so am ordering some deliveries this weekend[kissing] !

As I have heaps of high gravity beer (went mad with XSVA, Duvel, and Bocks in cooler months), I might try a batch of just the toucans and some hops, in search of some seriously suckable session swillers.

I tried mine again last night. It was better but the alcohol was still too hot (if you know what I mean [unsure] ). I reckon 2 more months and I'll give it another shot.

Just tried my Duvel as I type and it is ok but the again the alcohol is too hot....but as it had a final gravity of 1002 (10.2%) that is to be expected.

Archived