Coopers Community

Honey English Bitter

Hi all! I thought I'd try something a little different when I put the EB down last weekend. The common reaction from my friends when the try the EB is that it's a little too bitter for them, so I thought I'd try adding 370g of Grade NO.1 Amber Organic honey along with the 500g of Light Dry Malt. Do you think the honey will take the edge off the bitterness at all?

Maybe mind over matter will help them out with the bitterness [biggrin] Personally I think it's one of the best kits Coopers makes, so I guess I should stop trying to impress my friends with it and h o a r d it all for myself [bandit] I do want to try a few other experiments with the EB though... I've got some specialty grains that might go well honey and chocolate...

More residual sweetness will balance the bitterness but the honey will ferment out almost completely. You will get more residual sweetness by using a full kilo of Light Dry Malt.

That said, sweet aromas can fool the senses that bitterness is less. An example of this is the Blushing Blonde recipe - the sweet fruit aromas make this brew acceptable for people who don't normally like beer [sideways]

[rightful] WARNING YOUR POST IS BEING HIJACKED!!![rightful] [lol] [lol]

Paul, I have about 1 Kg of mango in my freezer that i was going to brew with a blonde kit.... How would i go about it?? throw them in frozen or should i boil to pasturise???

Archived