Coopers Community

Coopers IPA

SunyJim

Looking to do the IPA recipe as standard strength 4.5-5.5%

Was going to add the can of IPA, 500g LDM, and then how much Dex do I need to add for a 23ltr batch to make it 5%? Or should I add something else, like more LDM?

Not sure if this helps SunyJim but there is a stronger recipe HERE in the how to brew section.

EDIT: Sorry just noticed you said 5%. The kit plus 1kg LDM and 250g of Dextrose made to 23L should make a nice beer at around 5% (The other recipe I posted the link to would probably be in the region of 6.5% I would think???)

So here's my thought. There's a mid stregth 3.5-4% 23liters with 300g dex, and a strong 6-6.5% with 500g dex in 20 liters saying it's very hoppy.

Think I will do 23 liters. 500 Dex, and was going to dry hop 2oz of cascade pellets at the end of fermenting. think that will put me close to 5% and a very nice beer.

Looking to do the IPA recipe as standard strength 4.5-5.5%

Was going to add the can of IPA, 500g LDM, and then how much Dex do I need to add for a 23ltr batch to make it 5%? Or should I add something else, like more LDM?

Here is the "recipe" I just put down. 1 can Coopers IPA, 1 can Coopers Original Lager, both packets of yeast, 1/2 oz Cascade boiled for 20 minutes, the other 1/2 oz of Cascade dry hopped. I can't tell you how good this deal is, but from the gravity readings I have been tasting, it's going to be nice. Around 1.048 OG, and bitterness more in line with a real IPA.

• 1 month later...

After spending a few years in USA and being back in Oz.. IPA's just aint IPA's. The 1000's varietlies of awesome IPA's just arent avilable in my area here in WA.

So I put one of these down.

1 Coopers IPA

1kg Light Malt.

550grm Dextrose.

12g Goldings 60min

20g Amarillo 45min

12g Cascade Dry Hopped.

OG = 1059.

still going after a week in ferm.

SG = 1010 currently.

I am hoping this will turn out great.

Any suggestions as for sugar at bottling?

Currently drinking an IPA I bottled 2 months ago, fantastic.

1 x Coopers IPA

1 x Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract

500 grams Dextrose

20grams Nelson Sauvin hops steeped for 30mins then added to wort

Topped it up to 20 litres then used the Saf Ale US 05 American Ale yeast.

It's fresh, hoppy with a long crisp finish, and has big balls :D

Cheers,

Phillip.

My greatest brewing success so far has been with the Thomas Coopers IPA can.

The first one was an adaptation of the Strong IPA recipe, 500gms of LDME, 1kg of Coopers Brewing Sugar and yeast supplied mixed to 23l. A fantastic beer, that has even won over XXXX Gold drinkers!

My current effort is another variation on the theme... the IPA can 500gms of LDME, 1kg of BE2 and yeast supplied mixed to 23l. It has been in the fermenter now for two days.

I have not used hops before, is it possible to add hops now or at a later stage before bottling? And if so, which hops should I add? I'm a fan of British style beers, and hops that will stand up in a high abv content (I'm assuming Fuggles and East Kent Golding are both English aren't they??)

• 1 month later...

My best IPA brew to date was pretty simple.

1.7kg Coopers IPA

1kg LDME

300g Dextrose

15g Goldings pellet hops dry hopped after fermentation kicked off.

This brew really benefits from being conditioned for at least a month. Unfortunately for me I found this out after most of the beer had been consumed by my friends and I.

• 2 years later...

Im planning on putting to bed the Authentic IPA recipe tonight.

I plan on following it to the 'T" but am considering dry hopping 25 - 50grams Galaxy about day 4 because ilove the strongly hopped IPA's eg Croucher Galaxy IPA

i know shoudl do the recipe first to get a base line but can anyone see any problems with dry hopping that amount of galaxy?

• 1 month later...

Bottled my Unreal Ale yesterday. FG was 4 point lower at 1,008! I dry hopped with 30g EKG about 10 days ago, so looking forward to taste this one after 2-3 weeks.

Also started the Mid-range IPA. Instead of 300g Dex I used 380g Coopers brewing sugar. My OG was only 1,036. Is this the standard for this brew? I've got some EKG left, and was thinking about dry hopping this one also, but this time I will use a hop bag.

Bottled my Unreal Ale yesterday. FG was 4 point lower at 1,008! I dry hopped with 30g EKG about 10 days ago, so looking forward to taste this one after 2-3 weeks.

Also started the Mid-range IPA. Instead of 300g Dex I used 380g Coopers brewing sugar. My OG was only 1,036. Is this the standard for this brew? I've got some EKG left, and was thinking about dry hopping this one also, but this time I will use a hop bag.

most my mid range start at OG 1035

Archived