Coopers Community

The Highwayman (James Squire Brew House)

My wife and I stopped in to the James Squire Brew House in Darling Harbour in Sydney yesterday and I sampled a pint of one their inhouse only brews called "The Highwayman" and found it to be a very tasty drop. It is a red ale which they describe as:

[bandit] THE HIGHWAYMAN [bandit] This thrice hopped ale uses a blend of choice English, European and New Zealand hops resulting in a fruity aroma with hints of citrus, gooseberry and blackcurrant. The use of six premium grains results in a rich malt complexity.

Has anybody tried it? More importantly, has anybody any idea of how to make an extract or kit based version of it? I'd love to make something similar but wouldn't know where to start.

I am beginning to salivate just thinking about it [love]

Crickets.......[whistling

Seriously Muddy, sounds like a nice brew.

I'd guess the hops are maybe (never tasted the brew) EKG, Fuggles or Target (UK), Styrian Goldings or a German hop & Motueka(N.Z.).

Grains - who knows? 6 types, could be anything!

Thanks Luke - I thought nobody was going to come to the party [crying]

I was thinking it might be another NZ hop to give it the "hint of citrus, gooseberry and blackcurrant" but I've only used motueka before.

I've got a lot on my brew-to-do-list but I might keep this on the back burner for future consideration.

If anybody gets a chance to try it give it a go...superb!

Archived