Coopers Community

I want more sediment ??

Steve T

Hi all

i am a new brewer and am currently on my 4th. Pale ale brew which is ready to bottle probably tommorow.

I have nearly finished drinking my first which i was very happy with even though I failed to used the brew enhancer 2.

I now have used it in every other brew and cant wait to taste the difference.

When i bottle the brew using the sediment stays on the bottom of the tub and doesnt make it into the bottle then second fermantation takes place and at the end of this there is minimal sediment in each bottle which I am sure most would be happy with.

My question is if I shook the brew in the tub slightly before I bottled would the sediment be divided between the bottles and would it leave me with more sediment in each bottle??

And of course does any one know how it would effect the flavour??

Steve (trying to duplicate Pale Ale as close as possible)

G'day Steve,

this may be the first time someone has asked about creating more sediment in the bottle.

Prior to packaging, our commercial Pale Ale has the yeast and other solids stripped out then it is seeded with fresh yeast and primed with liquid sugar for secondary fermentation. This process is not something we home brewers can (or want to) perform so we rely on the yeast in suspension to carry out secondary fermentation.

You could try your idea of stirring up the yeast sediment in primary but I think it will give you some unwanted aromas and flavours.

If you are bottling into PET you could bottle a couple of days before FG is reached (but reduce you priming rate accordingly) - this should give you more active yeast carried over in suspension.

You may get more yeast sediment if you pitch re-cultured yeast for primary fermentation from bottled Pale Ale . The yeast in our commercial ale does not tend to sediment as much as the dry yeast supplied with the kit. If it sediments less in primary there should be more yeast carried over into secondary. Do a search on the re-culturing topic for "how to".

Actually, the re-culturing topic comes up often enough to be included in the FAQs.

Thanks Paul

i will take your advice and not stir the yeast in primary

I am actually bottling back into pale ale stubbies and twisting the tops back on which seems to work.

I do have some PET bottles so will also try the recultured yeast from Pale Ale as you suggested, it also give me a good excuse to buy another carton of Pale.

thanks for your help

Steve

Archived