Coopers Community

Trusty's Irish Ale (stout)

Trusty1

Howdy partners

I think I am going to do a version of the Irish Ale with a twist. I have 2 cans of Original Stout ready for brewing so I am going to do the Irish Ale recipe as found in the how to guide, but with one of the stout kits instead of Ale.

\u20221.7kg can Coopers Draught

\u20221kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

\u2022300 grams Golden Syrup

I have the remnants of what was 1kg of Dextrose lying around so might add that also - about 250gms. I also have 1kg of Dry Dark Malt. Some of that might find its way into the brew as well. I guess its not really the Irish Ale anymore, is it?[alien]

I will make it to 18 litres and then top up to maybe 21-22, use glad wrap, my hydrometer[innocent] and ferment at around the 18oC for about 2 weeks. I have some EKG hops left over from the SMOTY.

Any thoughts? Let me know what you think, maybe a toucan effort? Hops or not? Golden syrup or molassas? Both? [unsure]

Thanks....

Golden Syrup and Molasses would get a bit lost in a toucan stout brew.

There is an English Stout recipe in the Thomas Coopers Malt Recipes brochure that could be adapted for your purposes, it goes like this:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Irish Stout kit

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt extract (= 1.1kg Dry Dark Malt)

12g Fuggles Hops (your left-over EKG)

English Ale Yeast 15g

Thanks Paul and Marko. Will two yeast packs from Coopers kits suffice? Might give the Trusty's English Stout a crack, will this give the smooth mouthfeel that comes with, say a 440ml widget can? [love]

OK, so here's the recipe, I left out the molasses and Golden syrup on Pauls advice on it being lost in the brew. I couldn't find the EKG Hops, but I could find the (just a bit more than) half a Brigalow Hop tablet, so I threw it in. the rest is:

1.7kg x Coopers original Stout

1kg x Dry Dark Malt

0.5kg x Light Dry Malt

0.15kg x Dextrose

2 x Gold Coopers Yeast sachets (14gms total) pitched at 26oC

Made to 18L.

I got an OG reading of around 1060. The estimator/calculator reckons 1069 and an FG of around 1019 for 7.3%[devil] ABV. Sounds like exactly what I'm after[innocent].

Will add updates as necessary.

What exactly are these Brigalow Hops tablets? I keep hearing (generally neagative) comments of a tab added here or there but I really don't know what to think.

Are they the MSG of the brewing world? I'm not particularly tempted to try them but am a little curious as to what purpose they serve.

In all honesty, I don't know what exactly this tablet is[alien], as in what hops type/strain/breed or what else it contains. For all we know it could just be the exact same thing as hop pellets only a generic brand type sold as a tablet.

I bought it from K-mart before I found this forum, had half left, couldn;t find the Goldings left over from the SMOTY so threw it in. I think this is described as late dry hopping[unsure]. I wouldn't say a thing called a hops tablet would please the purists, but...[pinched]

I tried the first half of the tablet in my 2nd brew which was a stout and it is my favourite brew of the 6 I have brewed that I have tasted to date.

I'll let you know how this one goes.[cool]

Thanks Trusty - I only ever hear of these tabs when, like you, people say they threw in 1/2 a leftover tab. But I can't seem to find out what they are. I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

I like to use hops [ninja]

A very Guinnessesque statement there Paul (I like to watch [bandit] )

I love hops [love] . Without them I wouldn't know where to fit in my skip or my jump [sideways]

Paul,

From your earlier cryptic post

I like to use hops
I take it you know what is in these so called "hops" tablets, and it might not be purely and simply hops?

Anyway, it is gone now, like I said I bought it prior to finding all things homebrew on the 'net, and they are forever banished from `The Mac Shack" Brewhouse (part of Montague Court)Montague Court Brewery. Only "real" ingredients used from here on in.

Archived